Living Will.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Tonight my kids and I were sitting in the living room, when I said to them,
'I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependant on a machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.'
They got up, unplugged the computer and threw out my wine!!
The little Blighters.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My boys like the Inuit way. When the old folk can no longer chew raw meat, they sit on an ice floe and drift quietly away on the spring thaw,no longer a burden to the younger generation. I had been expecting a one-way ticket to Point Barrow for some time, but global warming has put a stop to their plans! I think they are now looking into a Richard Branson space flight if they can get a one-way ticket.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I've been having to re-consider how to deal with my parents since SWMBLT saw a video suggestion about older people and best method being "let the wolf nation decide their fate".

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My boys like the Inuit way. When the old folk can no longer chew raw meat, they sit on an ice floe and drift quietly away on the spring thaw,no longer a burden to the younger generation. I had been expecting a one-way ticket to Point Barrow for some time, but global warming has put a stop to their plans! I think they are now looking into a Richard Branson space flight if they can get a one-way ticket.

You need to hope that Branson doesn't learn how to land off-planet! :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How many others here apart from myself have worked in nursing, especially palliative care and seen many folk die, some quickly some not so fast? I'm all for a valid and legal Living Will personally.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good one Mr Kelly, but you should be good at living this way! So much practice!!!

How many others here apart from myself have worked in nursing, especially palliative care and seen many folk die, some quickly some not so fast? I'm all for a valid and legal Living Will personally.

I'm with you Rik, my father had always said that when he got to a certain stage he didn't want to go on and after his first and massive heart attack I had to fight for the right to have him not for resuscitation. Every day he was in the consultant would have a go at me about it. But we had strong beliefs on dignity and being a burden.

Strangely the consultant is now my consultant and had a devil of a time convincing me to take the pacemaker. I relented but said that the other possible alternative of a heart transplant (not there yet) I would refuse as I felt that there would be other younger more deserving folk. I feel that I've reached the stage where I'm not going to contribute much more to the world and that such a precious resource should go to someone more deserving. The pacemaker has made a huge difference though and I'm chuffed he convinced me it was worth it.

Living wills and the right to go well are pretty important to me. I do feel that we unnecessarily prolong too many lives and folk loose their dignity. And also fall foul of diseases that would not normally affect them due to this prolonged exposure to life.

As long as I'm pretty self reliant and compass mentis I'll keep going (heck I even felt bad not being able to pitch my own tent- but eternally grateful to Belzeebob23 for doing it for me) But once a certain stage is reached I'm off. It's just another part of the journey after all.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can't say I understand a word of that.

I'm not being negative (in fact the physiatrist they make you see before the pacemaker op said I was one of the most positive folk he'd met). It's just that I'm not going to do anything ground-breaking now and I'd rather that someone with more to offer got a heart over me. Or someone with folk to support who rely on them. I just don't believe in endlessly trying to prolong life. I've had a go and done some special things and I'm happy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE