Living in the Past, Iron age reality

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do :D
and l mind that they reckoned that the best invention of modern times were wellies :D

There were still upsets though, the vegetarian mother wanting the scarce milk for her children, amongst other issues.
I might be vegetarian, but I wouldn't join something like that when I know that it would cause issues for other people who weren't.

cheers,
M

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
I remember this as well and looked it up a few months ago as I was curious to see if it was available on DVD. I think I watched every episode when it was originally aired.

It was very unique at the time. I am not sure if the tag 'reality show' does it justice given the usual tripe served up in that category of TV in more recent times.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
According to one reply I've read under a YouTube vid it was never repeated or released on VHS or DVD.
Shame really, I didnt see the original, but it would be something I'd enjoy watching.
Maybe we could start a petition to the Beeb to repeat it, lol

Cheers
Ness :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There was even a Beano article with Denis and gnasher living in the iron age that is how big it was.

I watched it at the time and it was fantastic. How different to tv nowadays, even the good stuff like Edwardian farm pales by comparison. The folk lived there full time for a year with no contact with friends or family. It was as much social experiment as anything else and the communal spirit that developed has lasted 30 years. I loved the 30 year on program.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I was told that the original series was actually quite well respected by the archaeological community and some of its findings in terms of experimental archeaology were quite notable.
I've seen the 30 years on and have the book of the more modern series (50p in a library sale).

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I remember visiting Buster in the 70's while digging on a site in Dorset, almost got a summer job there...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE