Little project and some help wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I quit smoking about a year ago after switching to an e-cig and have been gradually upgrading to new devices and tanks along the way.

Decided to make this little rustic stand so I had somewhere to keep them all that wasn't a piece of shop bought moulded plastic.
Quite pleased with it so far and looks pretty nice to my mind.

573edd8c012585ba24369dc746a33848.jpg

http://youtu.be/bs7b4CdR_iw

This was mostly a first try and for the mark 2 version I want to try and put some threaded inserts into the holes so I can screw the tanks in for a bit more stability.
Google hasn't come up with much and wondering if any of the engineering types on here can offer any suggestions.
The threads are known as 510 which I understand to be 7mm x 0.5 and I am trying to find a source for either pre made inserts or threaded tube that I can cut to size myself.

Failing that if I were to buy a tap cutter of the size above any ideas what size steel tube I would need to cut in the thread?

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Why not buy the tap and tap the thread direct into the wood, you could soak the newly cut threads with superglue to strengthen them, although they will be under no strain......

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Why not buy the tap and tap the thread direct into the wood, you could soak the newly cut threads with superglue to strengthen them, although they will be under no strain......

Thanks Paul, the problem I have is that all the tanks will be getting fairly regular use and I don't thing the wood, even reinforced, will stand up over time.
Ali's the threads are fairly fine and make a positive connection to a battery so don't want them to gum up and potentially cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Very nice attie stand mate goodjob.

Mate be careful if you are screwing your tanks with ali threads on and off the stand. You can easily damage the threads over time as ali is a softer metal.

I've changed over to tanks with steel or brass threads, seem more robust when screwing ya tanks on and off ya mods to refill them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE