Linguistics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Is it just me or does anyone else get confused looks when they use the term 'bushcraft'. I've had people jest that it's some kind of topiary, or even worse......some kind of private hair fettish.

The portly Mears gentleman dressed in green moleskin on the BBC has given the term some recognition, but I feel we need something more catchy and self explanatory.

Has anyone got any better termonology?' Wilderness skills' doesn't really do it. 'Survival skills' has links to nutters living in bunkers with rifles.

Your suggestions are welcome........

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Is it just me or does anyone else get confused looks when they use the term 'bushcraft'. I've had people jest that it's some kind of topiary, or even worse......some kind of private hair fettish.

The portly Mears gentleman dressed in green moleskin on the BBC has given the term some recognition, but I feel we need something more catchy and self explanatory.

Has anyone got any better termonology?' Wilderness skills' doesn't really do it. 'Survival skills' has links to nutters living in bunkers with rifles.

Your suggestions are welcome........
Is it better to re-brand your hobby just because people are unable to understand what it is you do? Or find a better to explain it. Myself, I don’t have that kind of problem I’m not a bushcrafter, but when asked about what kind of camping I do, I just say “you know that stuff that Ray Mears does” and 99% of the people seem to understand perfectly well.

Unless of course I’ve missed the point of the thread and it’s just an attempt at making a smutty joke.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
It just seems odd that most of us make reference to a TV personality to describe our interest/hobby. It's like....'I'm just going to do some of that Alan Titchmarsh stuff this weekend....you know with the trees and flowers and stuff....'

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It just seems odd that most of us make reference to a TV personality to describe our interest/hobby. It's like....'I'm just going to do some of that Alan Titchmarsh stuff this weekend....you know with the trees and flowers and stuff....'
The whole of the English language is in reference to something or other, we have clichés and metaphors as the mainstay of our descriptive narration. Quite a few of which are in reference to famous people, for example Walt Mitty, or Peter Pan, McNab, Ok not a name but even people who’ve not seen the film know what a "bunny boiler" is.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think there's a mistake thinking that it's only called bushcraft because Ray Mears called it that, he made the term more recognised but he's not the first or the only one to use it in many parts of the world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE