Limpets, Razor fish and mussels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Any hints , tips or recipes for prepping and eating these little critters, I plan to try them this weekend.

Cheers

Don

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not a big fan of eating aquatic creatures - just think of the filth we pour into their environment for starters - nor am I partial to their flavour, texture or looks. Apart from that (and I find limpets the worst of the lot) I can offer no help.
You can eat them but Croc Dundee was right about the flavours!
A totally negative responce I am afraid....

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Roast them in the embers of a fire, as Ray Mears demonstrates. Lay Mussels on a plank bunched together hinge side up. Limpets let them stick to a flat stone and roast the lot, cover with hot embers from your fire. When they're cooked pluck them out of their shell, discard the black bubble on top. Razorshells again hinge side up, just lay them in the ember bed, they only need a few minutes if the fires got enough heat left in it. If you've never tried razorshells before you're in for a treat, they're one of my favourites.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Given that I live about as far from the coast as it is possible to be in the UK, I was tempted by some razorshells that were on sale in Oxford market. It really grates on me that I would have to pay for them, but at the moment I think that's the only way I'm going to get to try them.

Geoff

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher, Don.
Ive found this prepping to be ideal......
Step 1.Take a big bunch of them, strap 'em to a 6/0 Mustad, and cast 'em seaward.
Step 2, If you're lucky, re-wind and find a Cod firmly hooked.
Step 3. Remove hook from Cod and any remaining bits of shellfish.
Step 4. Go home, cook Cod and yomp it.

Tight lines!

Ceeg

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
My family cook Limpets traditionally something like this (Madeiran recipe).

Lapas e Caramujos de Esacabeche
Limpet Escabèche

These are found everywhere in grocery stores, sold in jars, and served in various salads or rice dishes.

Wash the limpets; open the shells;
poach for a few seconds in boiling water; immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking;
drain; sprinkle with salt and let rest overnight;
wash the limpets to remove the excess salt.

Cover with the following marinade:
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) olive oil
100 ml (6 tbsp.) grape vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 clove of garlic, crushed and minced
peppercorns, whole or freshly ground
small hot chilies, cut into thin strips

Consume within a few days or else pack in jars, using the same sterilization process you would use for canning or pickling.

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/?action=recette_show&id=1212&lg=en
( taken from there, 2 more also)

Think we used to cook them longer than "a few seconds" though.
Nice if done right, chewy. Same thing can be done with "Winkles" and in the same bowl, but think they were cooked in shells then extracted with a needle.

Can't stand grilled / fried limpets though. Even the smell puts me off! :yuck:

Cheers
Carlo

Limpets are tough: eat raw or cook for an hour or so with greens in a stew.

Mussels? I'm a Belgian, we eat thousands of tonnes of the stuff in this country. Have herbs, sliced onions and minced celery stewing in butter (some salt, pepper), when soft, add all the mussels you like and put the lid on. three minutes later, the mussels will start to open. Shake vigorously. Give them another minute and serve, any second over that will ruin them. enjoy and carefully remove the little pearls from your mouth when eating, your daughter will love these

Razors. Marinate in herbs and (olive) oil. Grill on the hot barbecue for about 17 seconds, turn (9 seconds on the other side). Serve with plenty of white wine. They taste like calamari.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Limpets are easily cooked (as earlier said) Ray Mears style.
Just let them fasten to a flat rock, toss some hot coals over it.Wait some minutes and they are done. Enjoy.

IMG_0287a.jpg

IMG_0288a.jpg

IMG_0289a.jpg

Tor Helge

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ketchup
With a name like yours you should not worry about the flavour of food!
I would rather dine at Le Grecos off the Grande Place (or even El Grecos if I was flush) or have a Salade Niceoise in the Shallop D'or, than go down Rue Marche aux Herbe for a bucket of moules...
And a Steak au poivre verte creme in La Maison Rose knocks spots of either, especially when followed with a Dame Blanche....
Ah the good old days in Brussels..... please excuse my spelling - I cant even spell in English never mind French and as for Flemish.....

Ketchup
With a name like yours you should not worry about the flavour of food!
I would rather dine at Le Grecos off the Grande Place (or even El Grecos if I was flush) or have a Salade Niceoise in the Shallop D'or, than go down Rue Marche aux Herbe for a bucket of moules...
And a Steak au poivre verte creme in La Maison Rose knocks spots of either, especially when followed with a Dame Blanche....
Ah the good old days in Brussels..... please excuse my spelling - I cant even spell in English never mind French and as for Flemish.....

Yes John, but even to a Brit, this is hardly bushcraft :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ketchup - to get to La Maison Rose you have to cross La Bois de la Cambre or The Foret de Soignes (at least from where I lived)... does that not count?
Despite being cooked by the best of chefs Moules will never be as good as good red meat! Even if I cook the meat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE