Limitations of a Young Bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2013
England
Hello everyone,
I am a young bushcrafter looking to expand my activities. I'd like to start camping and doing things in proper woods as up until this point I have worked solely from my garden which, diverse as it is, doesn't fully satisfy me.

I am sixteen and would like advice on purchasing tools and using land for miscellaneous bushcraft.

Any helpful advice would be very welcome!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think it would be a good idea to read through some of the old threads to garner some info and narrow down your question range. Just asking about bushcraft is like asking someone "...tell me about science..." huge topic which can be daunting to even attempt to answer.;)
What have you done in your garden and with what? Have you slept out? So would specific questions on shelters and sleep systems be useful? Can you light a fire or do you intend to use a stove of some kind? There's the old chestnut of knife ownership and the legalities and safety knowledge. Plus you'll get as many answers about knives as there are folk in the world but the general consensus for cash strapped beginners is that a low priced Mora would be the way to go.
Getting in touch with a local group (if there's one near you) would be good. I'm not that found of large groups personally but they are a great source of knowledge than can be physically shown to you and they may already have land that you can play on with them as well as trying out different bits of kit before throwing about hard sought cash.

So have a wee read of past stuff, read a few books and try to narrow your search a little as it really is a huge subject that we continue to learn throughout our lives.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

ATB,
GB.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

What GB said is good advice. Here's a couple threads that might be of help to you

Land Access

Wild camping in the UK

Finding somewhere to do bushcrafting very hard but you can do it if you try hard. Have a word with all your mates, they might have a relative who's got some land or know of someone who can help you out.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Hi and welcome aboard. ^^^I agree with what these guys say^^^^

If you can't find the answers to specific subjects you only have to ask.

Might be good to join a local group. I'm sure there are many members down your way that would help you out or spend some time talking through their own kit with you. I think the first thing to do is look at maybe getting a cheap Mora knife and a sharpening system (Japanese water stones are great), A rucksack, sleep system, cooking pot and either a tent, tarp or hammock. I would start out simple and buy or barter for kit as you require it. No point in becoming a kit junkie when you can't/ wont carry half of it.

Giant trees out of tiny acorns grow.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hello everyone,
I am a young bushcrafter looking to expand my activities. I'd like to start camping and doing things in proper woods as up until this point I have worked solely from my garden which, diverse as it is, doesn't fully satisfy me.

I am sixteen and would like advice on purchasing tools and using land for miscellaneous bushcraft.

Any helpful advice would be very welcome!

According to my information you are 26 ... Either my math is incorrect, or you are up to no good ...

Care to explain what went wrong?

Nov 10, 2013
England
According to my information you are 26 ... Either my math is incorrect, or you are up to no good ...

Care to explain what went wrong?

Well when I join sites I'm not used to I enter a random date of birth just as a quick sign-up routine. I will of course change it if it bothers you. I assure you I am certainly not up to no good as I would hope could be gleaned from my original post.

Thank you for your helpful advice everyone! I'm sure there are some groups near me who could help as well. In my garden I have taught myself firelighting, camp pitching, safety with basic tools etc. What I need help with most at the moment is to do with knives. I have been using the knife on my leatherman multitool but find it to be finicky to produce and put away. I do not doubt my competence but, being under eighteen I am worried land owners would see me as a liability. Do you think I will have problems with this?

I'm not asking about bushcraft as such more breaking the threshold into woodland activities proper.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I'm sure there are some groups near me who could help as well.
Just tell your parents you're off to the woods to meet some older men from an internet forum. They'll be cool with that :D

Unfortunately these days I think a lot of people would be worried about the safeguarding/health and safety issues of having a minor on their land.
Don't be downhearted though. The plus side to being 16 is that no one's going to want to fine you for illegal wild camping/fire lighting. I'd wager the worst they'll do is tell you to move on. I'd encourage you to get stuck into wild camping wherever you want to... My teenage years were spent wild camping in the New Forest :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE