Lignum vitae

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I was looking for a little advice im looking to make a wooden handle for a stainless full tang blade that i have. I was wondering if lignum vitae would be a good choice for use around water ???

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
wouldn't have thought so as Lignum doesn't float, it's one of the few woods that goes straight to the bottom :( :( :( :(

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
i do a lot of woodturning and i personally think lignum would be very good because it is a very greasey tropical hardwood i think the grease would help to keep the handle stable and repel water,

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
It's a lovely wood to work with (though very dense) and is great for water use (highly resistant to moisture damage). For those who don't know, it's one of the hardest woods around (several times harder than oak for example).

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Mantic said:
It's a lovely wood to work with (though very dense) and is great for water use (highly resistant to moisture damage). For those who don't know, it's one of the hardest woods around (several times harder than oak for example).

Back in the mid 80’s I made the bearing surface of thrust bearing for the water turbine at Bridport water mill out of four six inch blocks of end grain lignum vitae. It was to replace the original lignum vitae bearings that had worn out, they had been first installed some time in 1910. The wearing action of the wood had shortened the case steel shaft end by several inches. To say the wood is hard wearing is a slight understatement.

Apr 30, 2006
Staffs
Lignum is a great choice for knife handles, pleasant to the touch, very hard wearing and as moisture resistant as you can get. Although readily available it is getting harder to get.
I've just got back from a Hammer-in / knife show at Marcus Balbach's place in Germany and sold a shed load of lignum handles there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE