Lightweight bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I have posted this on other forum's so I apologise is you've read it before.

I've been toying with this idea for a while. I have read lots of information on zeltbahn tent quarters, poncho's and liners, lightweight quilts etc and feel that I would like to make something that combines lots of these ideas to make a lightweight and versatille bedroll. I'm thinking of a lightweight ripstop nylon outer that connects with press studs to a fleece inner. It would possibly have a zip or velcroed hole in the center of both which your head could be stuck through to use as a poncho. Grommets would be attached around the outside so that this could be rigged in a variety of ways. It could be a tarp with seperate quilt, a poncho, a waterproof quilt, a warm bivy bag or either could be used on their own. The materials would be purchased from here.

I am completely open minded to any ideas. I have not yet finalised any part of it and would welcome any contribution.
Thanks

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Pete,

The US army poncho and poncho liner make a good lightweight kit - its also very versetile. Add to this a thermarest and you have something well suited to warm summer evenings or a good emergency bivi.

PS your jacket will be posted am Monday - cheers.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
One of the problems with synthetics is that they melt when sparks hit them. If you want to sleep next to the fire, you may want to consider a wool blanket and something like a ventile or egyptian cotton poncho that's been fireproofed.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
The US army poncho and poncho liner make a good lightweight kit - its also very versetile.

Someone posted a similar reply on equipped and this is what I said:
"That isn't possible for me as I live in England. The poncho costs about £20 and the liner a further £30 and the fleece liner £30 again. This adds up to £80 ($136)! Not including the zips. This, as you can see is not really practical"

The same really applies for your reply, minus £30 for the fleece liner and plus £60 for the thermarest. That is way to pricey for me. Also I think I could tailor this perfectly to my needs this way.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the bedroll system i use may be a bit bulky for your requirements, but more suited to the english climate. basically, any sleeping bag, with a (very) cut down carry mat, inside an ex-army goretex bivi bag. it rolls up and gets stuffed inside an ex-army compression spider stuff sac. there's room in the top for a basha and bungees of your choice.

cheers, and.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
My bedroll consists of:
3/4 length Therma-rest mat & a nylon hammock (with built-in mosi-net and pocket to take the mat), one of my current experiments.
This lot rolls up nicely and straps to the side of my bergen. It happens to be the same length as my SFA, which I carry in a bag in between the two, where it does'nt show.
Neil1

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Sargey,
That is a set up I will have after christmas, when I have got my bivi bag. However, the set up I am working on would be a really versatille thing. Where I could almost just carry this.
Cheers

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I have been working on this and have come up with something. OK, it's not what I originally planned, but it's something to start off with that I can add to. What I have come up with is:
A fleece sleeping bag liner that I bought for £16 locally.
A wool blanket that folds up pretty small and is versatille.
A reflective blanket. I think its called a sportsman's blanket in the US. The only other one I've seen in the UK was in the local shop as I got the fleece liner and cost £20. I didn't buy that one, but I saw this one today for £5 so I snaped it up. It is a ripstop aluminised sheet on one side and blue tarp on the other. It has a strong edge around the outside and big grommets at the corners. This could be used as a tarp, groundsheet or as a sort of bivi bag. Maybe in the future I'll cut a hole in the middle to use it like a poncho as originally stated.
In the bedroll there is also a piece of closed cell sleeping pad about 1/2 normal length to go under my torso. All this fits into a OD nylon stuffsack which, useing the drawcord and an additional piece of cord, is tied into a hudson bay pack so it can be strung across my shoulders like a traditional bedroll.
I haven't yet used this outdoors. When I do, i'll give feedback

I still welcome anymore ideas.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Beware using the reflective "Sportsmens' Blanket" as a bivi bag - you'll end up drenched. I tried and I did! :oops: The reflective side bounces heat back, a bit, but it does not let out the hot, moist vapours you produce during sleep. Condensation collects on the underside and drips back onto you or your bedding. I carry mine in winter as an emergency wind & waterproof wrap and use it winter camping as a ground sheet liner but have never again slept under it. I guess I would if I was cold enough. Never tried it as a tarp either, as I've got a "hoochie"-type one, but it seems strong enough and should work as long as there is some airflow. I imagine it would be great as a sunshade if you erected it silver side out.

Interested to see how it works for you.

TedW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE