Lightweight and windproof - what are the options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Anyone got a recommendation for a top and trousers similar to a military "zoot suite"?

I recently joined Mountain Rescue and have started walking a LOT further than I have in the past. This has really focussed me on the lighter weight options in life :) Occasionally there training weekends or events which will require a night on the hill in the bivi and up to now I've carried a set of HH base layers as my dry sleep kit. This is one area where I can save weight and space as a couple of people have mentioned kit that can be packed down to nothing but still offer a warm and dry layer when in the grot bag.

So what do you recommend?

Basic requirements are;
- windproof
- quick drying
- small pack size
- available in larger sizes (ahem, 17 st but it is going down!)
- not too expensive (damn paycuts!)

I'm not expecting anything that'll meet all of these criteria, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi,
Well done on joining mountain rescue!!!:cool: I take my hat off to you
You could try one of the pertex windproof smocks [mardale or hilltrek] packs down very small..ultralight..vey quick drying..but little to no thermal insulation value and quite cheap £35ish...buffalo also produce pertex with a fleese lining which are very good but do not pack down small and are quite heavy and expensive!
Hope this help
Regards
Stu

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Hi,
Well done on joining mountain rescue!!!:cool: I take my hat off to you
You could try one of the pertex windproof smocks [mardale or hilltrek] packs down very small..ultralight..vey quick drying..but little to no thermal insulation value and quite cheap £35ish...buffalo also produce pertex with a fleese lining which are very good but do not pack down small and are quite heavy and expensive!
Hope this help
Regards
Stu

I'd recommend them too. I have a Montane Featherlite Smock I got cheap from Field & Trek (Sports Direct) online
http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-smock/40
As you can see, it packs down to the size of an apple, although I'd say that's being generous, so maybe a small apple :)

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have a couple of arktis stowaway shirts, at around £20.
They go upto 52 inch chest ish.

PREPER.............. :)

Sep 1, 2009
London
I second the Arktis stowaway. Compacts really small, into its own stuff sack. It wont keep out the wet, but excellent windproof layer.
Look on eBay, last one I picked up for a £10.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Thanks for the advice guys. I did ask a couple of the guys on the team and they tend to go for Paramo or Montane Featherlite. So those recommendations along with yours means a few days browsing and playing with kit :)

EdS - I know what you mean about sleeping much. While I haven't been out on a shout yet as I'm a newbie and still in training some of the stories form they guys are very educational :) I'm looking at windproof gear as it'll fill two roles. Firstly a dry layer for the times where are sleeping on the hill when monitoring checkpoints for charity events and thereby earning a few quid for our own coffers, sleeping out on training weekends or when hillwalking/camping for myself. Secondly for the warmer months where you're carrying minimal kit but want an extra layer to throw on when you have a break or reach the casualty.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I recommend anything by Paramo (although it tends not to be cheap kit). Also worth checking if your team get discounts from any suppliers? If they don't, now is the time to go speak to the local outdoor shop and embarrass them into giving you a deal for such a worthy cause, at least try for a sponsorship. Well done on joining a team, I have total respect for the folks that go out in all weathers to save other people.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have a para training top made of parachute material, packs down small, dries in minutes, good under a smock or sweater, or for kipping in. also have a snugpak windtop which is very similar to a featherlite, i highly recommend this item, use it cycling and under smocks or over a base layer or t shirt in warmer months.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Why does it need to be windproof if you intend to wear inside a sleeping bag?

Have I just set myself up for a punchline?!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try this windproof top.

http://www.montane.co.uk/shop/all/limited-edition-lite-speed-jacket--mens-and-womens/9

I bought one when the climbers shop didn't have my size in the cheaper hoodless jacket (litespeed I think). This one works out at £4 cheaper than the non-limited edition version. I like the colours too. The contrasting red zip is so this year ;) BTW you'll be supporting your lot by buying this jacket. BTW you can buy direct from Montane or from certain shops like the climbers shop in Ambleside and the price is the same. I don't know if other retailers do this but the climbers shop don't take a cut so its just the same amount going to MRT if you buy from them as from Montane direct.

I can say that it works well. Copes with a reasonable amount of weather including drizzley rain. The hood works very well over a peaked cap in the rain too. I wear t in rain then if the rain gets too bad I have to wear a waterproof shell over the top. You can get some very good windproof softshell trousers but some manufacturers make pertex trousers too. Montane and Buffalo spring to mind. I prefer Montane to Buffalo but that is only preference. BTW Buffalo is sold in Field and Trek. I'm not totally sure but I think they are cheapish in price so look at them too.

jasikamarshel

Aug 10, 2010
unitedstates
Light weight and wind proof ,you must choose a shoes or sandle light weight and wind proof this a best and you walk easily and choose a smooth then it best for a foot and you can wash it easily this a best way for choosing a shoes or sandle and other things here it help to choose it.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
If you can get your hands on some para-silk (see DIY hammocks threads), there are plenty of smock designs that you could make up at home. I used one for years until some light fingered fiend help themselves to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE