Lighters- Which sort?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
I carry Bic lighters , as I think they are better , and last longer than other brands.

Is the flint one better or worse than the electronic version?

I used to carry the petrol version of lighters , but the fuel quickly evaporated , and I used to stink of petrol.

At least the gas ones don't smell.

I have tried other brands , but none are better than Bic for price,durability etc.

May I have your comments/thoughts on this topic?

Thanks

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
It's wildcamping law carrying a couple of small Bic lighters in your rucksack. I prefer the flint type, cheap as chips and easily replaced :).

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use the electronic version and keep one in my pocket. I use Clipper ones - they are cheap enough that I have never looked for a cheap alternative. Clipper or BIC are good.

On very cold days when my hands had got cold and wet I have had a painful time trying to get the flint type to light but the electronic ones can be used with minimal dexterity.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have a look for torjets, electronic, windproof flame, refillable but so cheap it's almost not worth the bother :)

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
When i used to smoke, the flint type lighters used to last much longer than the electronic type. Flints can replaced in most of them :).

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I dunno what it is but you can't find Bic lighters for love nor money round these parts anymore. Practically every little shop used to sell them a few years back.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I dunno what it is but you can't find Bic lighters for love nor money round these parts anymore. Practically every little shop used to sell them a few years back.

Same up here, ebay sell them in bulk, ie 5s, 10s, 20s. Often cheaper to buy that way.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Clipper you can use the striker separate from the lighter if you run out of gas but have other tinder to hand. Either sort with built in led torches are handy.

Sent from my X_10 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've had one of these on the go for years, it's outperformed Windmill and the like.

%5BURL=http://s700.photobucket.com/user/nice65/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5EFCBC06-4A9F-46A4-93EA-F695AE7572F8_zpstuxkrkpf.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/nice65/Mobile%20Uploads/5EFCBC06-4A9F-46A4-93EA-F695AE7572F8_zpstuxkrkpf.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

If you'd like a couple to try, I've got a few knocking about. Received 8 mini Clippers today for only £6.49, I can chuck one of those in too.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Home bargains sell a pack of 3 windproof "jet" lighters for a quid, there the ones i usually buy and they work well.

Tonyuk

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A Clipper for me everytime. The half-size ones are especially nice for pocket kits and adding a lanyard is pretty simple.
$_1.JPG

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I usually take a petrol lighter of some kind... a couple of cheap electronic throwaway lighters and occasionally I take a yachting lighter, gas-powered, wind resistant and water proof.

I smoke cigarettes and cigars, so lighters are something I carry everyday anyway.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
mini bics or clippers for me, if I want petorl I'll carry a peanut lighter, the countycomm ones are spot on and have a decent seal tested to over 3 months and it still worked fine, would probably have stored longer but I forgot to keep testing.

I wish countycomm stuff was avalible over here but they dont ship overseas

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I have a Windmill "Delta" but only because I liked the casing design, material and translucent green colour.

Yes, what a sad ..........!

K

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a Zippo, in fact I have several as I used to collect them, but I have one I use.
I carry a small can of fuel.
I also have a selection of turbo flames, including one that never worked from the factory but I had to strip and rebuild and it works now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE