Lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
For when I'm feeling lazy about making a fire I am thinking about getting a lighter. I have seen a 3 Flame Jet lighter in black for £8.99 seems to be ok?

What lighters do you have for the outdoors?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Bic lighter.. cheap and cheerful, i know i dont need one so if it decideds to fail or goes walk about, it's no biggie! i have had a few of those jet lighters and they seem to fall appart quite easily.

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
silva helios
its a jet lighter from cotswold outdoor for 15 quid but i only use it for emergency lighting
don't get lazy because then these ancient skills will slowly be forgotten

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
benmatthews90 said:
silva helios
its a jet lighter from cotswold outdoor for 15 quid but i only use it for emergency lighting
don't get lazy because then these ancient skills will slowly be forgotten

Oh no, I don't mean totally lazy, but occasionally when you just want to get a quick fire going.
Do they guzzle fuel?
Where can you get the butane from? Is it cheaper than buying just a regular lighter (I suppose it also has the added security though of being able to light almost anywhere for emergencies)?

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I just have a load of Bic disposables spread around my body and kit just i case of a real emergency.

My normal fire lighting kit is a fire steel and dry tinder, i would only use a lighter as a last resort and to only light a piece of rubber, if i need fire that badly i will not mess around trying to light it any other way.

Emdiesse how would you normally light your fire? I only ask because for many people including some very able outdoor people the only options are matches or lighter.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I use a Silvia Helios too, 14 quid, wind proof flame and waterproof when closed.

It's also marketed using the "Brunton" name. Buy it with the Brunton logo and you'll pay around 60 quid :dunno:

You can buy butane from any large supermarket, newsagent, outdoor shop etc. It's only about 4GBP for a large bottle.

Don't think it works out cheaper than a disposable. You are paying for a high quality durable lighter that will work in extreme conditions and it burns at a higher temperature than regular lighters. It won't ignite in your pocket or break when stood on or dropped.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
OK ta for the info.

I rarely get the chance to bushcraft, however If I were to make a fire and i'm in no great need I like to try to use a bow and drill although I am rarely succesfull :p

I don't want to avoid methods such as them because you never know where you might be when you have no matches and a used up lighter. So if i'm in no hurry I think better to use primitive methods or other resourceful ways rather than wasting emergency supplies.

I don't actually have a lighter as of yet and I have never bought one before, but I think it is wise to have one for emergencies, I just wondered whether I should get the Jet one from blacks.

I see that my latest "Jet" lighter has died. I've even kept the old ones as they died so that one day I can show the line-up. I'd never trust one now as they always work perfectly until you really need them.
BICs seem to do better and a ferro rod always works as long as you don't let it get wet and disintegrate.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I swear I have seen a jet lighter somewhere tht runs on regular bic lighters. Seems to be a good idea because you can pull out the bic one if the jet lighter fails.

Can't remember where I have seen it now?

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
We've got an open fire at home, so always have a plentiful supply of matches, and cheap bic lighters. If you buy the colourful see-through ones, you can also keep an eye on how much fuel is left.

I dont use them when I'm out and about, but always keep a couple with me, one in my rucksack, and one in my FAK.

Cheers

TC

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
BCB used to sell them but not seen them for a few years.The main disadvantage was if you got a bic with a dodgy valve. I just got a turbo twin flame lighter from a local garage £2.99 and the tin it comes in makes a good stand by stove for using with esbit blocks.Dave.

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
I carry a couple of throw away lighter in my day sack, but in my pocket I have a Zippo lighter. They way I look at it is, if I run out of fuel in the lighter, there is still enough residue on the cotton wool filler pad to pluck it open and use as a tinder for other fire lighting methods.

Cronos

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
cronos said:
They way I look at it is, if I run out of fuel in the lighter, there is still enough residue on the cotton wool filler pad to pluck it open and use as a tinder for other fire lighting methods.

Cronos

That's a good point but to be honest I think that Zippos are not that good cos they run out of fuel even if you don't use them so they don't really rate for me.

I don't smoke so perhaps they come into their own when you use them more?

Dunno really but the one I have isn't that impressive anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I purchased one of those Turbo blue flame lighters last summer and it fell to bits about three weeks after paying £15 for it.

I`ve now gone back to my faithful Zippo (which normally lasts about 5 days on a fill) and the flint just goes on for ever.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Your Zippo only lasts 5 days when you fill it?

Shewie, I don't mean to come off as prudent, but are you sure that you're filling it up properly? I've been using them for years, and I use mine several times a when lighting up. I've had a Zippo running for over two weeks on one filling.

I was just a wee bit curious when I read your post!

Adam

PS: A small hint with Zippo's: When you're not using it, lay it on it's side, as opposed to standing up. For some reason, this slows down the fuel evaporation to a crawl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE