Life Boat Refit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmmm the only key thing you can’t change on a ships lifeboat conversion is that it will roll like a b*tch. They have done a nice job though. I seen this article and sent it to an old navy mate who worked on Clansman. This was his lifeboat, if needed he was to be her coxswain where she to be used in anger.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hmmm the only key thing you can’t change on a ships lifeboat conversion is that it will roll like a b*tch. They have done a nice job though. I seen this article and sent it to an old navy mate who worked on Clansman. This was his lifeboat, if needed he was to be her coxswain where she to be used in anger.

Yeah , I did think about that. I'm going to assume there is an addition of a Rudder under the keel line.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I can't remember the configuration whether it's a bucket rudder or just a plain rudder aft of the screw. It's more the shape of the craft that causes the roll.

Reactions: TeeDee

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I watched that a while ago as well.

Reminded me of Tristan Jones book 'Ice!' which is a good read if you like stories about small boats and exploration.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It looks like it rolls like a female dog. (Hoqever its boat you could have faith in in any condition.)

And I have a gut feeling its fuel hungry.

But they wont lose it in the marina...

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I think the greatest thing about this is, they DID IT, rather than just dream it, how many people say I wished I’d done this or that and never did. May their adventure continue!!!!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are no words...that is just so COOL to do!! Can't wait to see the short film.

K

Exactly. Wouldn't mind converting one of these to just poodle along the Canals in fact as I believe they are relatively cheap.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
As we sit opposite each other, remote working, wenchy (term of endearment ;)) has just said 'we should do something like that'. Travel the waves as 'Sea Gypsy Geographers' and write articles as an income.

...the kids will be leaving home in the next couple of years :naughty:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
As we sit opposite each other, remote working, wenchy (term of endearment ;)) has just said 'we should do something like that'. Travel the waves as 'Sea Gypsy Geographers' and write articles as an income.

...the kids will be leaving home in the next couple of years :naughty:
Madame and I had a similar moment back in 1964 while facing on another in the bath in the cottage we had just finished converting. We didn't like our jobs and decided to change direction. By the time the bathwater grew unbearably cold we planned for me to get a place at college, let the cottage, get jobs in London to save money for a summer in Greece. It all worked out and the kids came later. We repeated the project later with jobs in the Bahamas and a summer in the USA followed by another going from end to end of Europe in the first of our campervan s We've always thought of them as land-going yachts. Our compromise: I love boats and the sea but Madame gets sea-sick on a quayside.
Both our boys caught the big and the grandchildren look like following suit.
Glad we started our adventures young!

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a fine thing to dream, but these things do cost money, and often the simplest seeming projects are only for the really wealthy.

One of my favorite books is the Water road by Paul Gogartey its about exploring the canal systems by narrowboat.

Lets not think of the enormity of renting a narrowboat for four months....

(Memo-must fit out my dinghy properly...and try not to think on what it costs to get bits for an 8ft boat...)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Its a fine thing to dream, but these things do cost money, and often the simplest seeming projects are only for the really wealthy.

One of my favorite books is the Water road by Paul Gogartey its about exploring the canal systems by narrowboat.

Lets not think of the enormity of renting a narrowboat for four months....

(Memo-must fit out my dinghy properly...and try not to think on what it costs to get bits for an 8ft boat...)

Just downscale the project - do it by Canoe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE