Lets see your garden hammock set up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Hi

I wanted to have a set up in my garden to hang from my hammock and enjoy the sun (twice a year here in Scotland) and also to help fine tune my set up. I also want to be able to set my tarp up as well.

I tried a wooden frame set up I found on here somewhere but found it to big and bulky and a bit of an eye sore.
I am currently thinking along the lines of two poles inserted into the ground at an angle (about 500mm length)and flush with the ground. Then two longer poles (around 2500mm) of a slightly smaller diameter to slide down and into these. This would allow me to remove the longer poles when not in use.
I am thinking of using scaffold poles for the longer ones as these should provide good strength and I'll need to try and find poles for the ground.

Something like this (the yellow bit is the larger diameter poles concreted into the ground)

5953749255_aa546cbf67_z.jpg

Any way any ideas or tips appreciated or even show us your set up.

Cheers stuart

Last edited:

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I could get away with one permanently in the ground at the side of the fence, similar to yours but the other would be in the middle of the lawn, it would look daft hence the idea of the removable poles. I could try it on the existing fence posts but I don't think the neighbor would too pleased if it went wrong :theyareon

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've got a big eyebolt anchored in my brick wall and a wooden post cemented into the ground for mine.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I've looked at and tried to build a portable hammock rig for use in the garden and as you say to fine tune my set up. However I recently bought off ebay a cheap but useful garden hammock stand which breaks down into 3 pieces and copes with my Hennessy hammock. Cost less than £30 delivered and much cheaper than I could make in my cack-handed way. It might be worth a look.
(I still intend to experiment with a set of aluminium canoe poles I already have.)

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I've looked at and tried to build a portable hammock rig for use in the garden and as you say to fine tune my set up. However I recently bought off ebay a cheap but useful garden hammock stand which breaks down into 3 pieces and copes with my Hennessy hammock. Cost less than £30 delivered and much cheaper than I could make in my cack-handed way. It might be worth a look.
(I still intend to experiment with a set of aluminium canoe poles I already have.)

Any chance of posting a link for the stand? Had a look but couldn't see one for that price.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yep good boy scout be prepared lol that was the first day up tested it dont need the lounger now regards dave

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Sods law, just tried the link works good til you try and buy then you get "invalid item", Cheers tho
Scaffold poles still on the shopping list this weekend

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just my penny-worth: If you are going to concrete steel tubes into the ground, make sure to provide a way for the rain to drain out or they will fill up with rusty water and dead slugs. Just put a decent layer of gravel in the bottom of the pit and ram the tube into this before you add the concrete.

Z

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Yeh mate good call on the gravel, originally I was thinking of some caps for the tubes but the gravel is a better idea cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE