Leon-b's new members thread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With Leon-b’s “List to learn” thread having been so popular, I have an idea for a new members thread, which will incorporate the wealth of information now available on this site .

The thread would consist of questions set by members, with the answers somewhere on the site e.g. Articles, Gallery or Community. For answers in the forum a key word could be included for the user to enter into the search field, for an answer in an article, a link could be included to the specific article.

A link to the thread could be included in the email automatically generated when new members register.

Answers could be provided in a separate thread or if this thread proved popular, maybe multiple choice answers could be provided with a system that adds up the number of correct answers?

Example:

When making cordage, according to PatrickM, how long should it be left to soak in water? Link: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=198

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
x2 on the great idea!

I'd be fascinated to complete the quiz - I think it would also encourage us all to use "search" etc. a little bit more (and look into areas that are off our normal interests)

Great thought - ask if I can help in any way

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last week we actually started thinking about a new forum for just this sort of thing. A place where newbie’s (and old timers) can ask questions that they feel might be a bit basic or easy. I know that sometimes I wonder about something, but I think it's a really basic thing and I should probably know the answer!! So, this would be a forum that had lots of general questions in it. It would also be a good place to go for new members that wanted to get to grips with a few things and don't really want to look silly on the forum.

I know I'd use it :D

Here's an example...

On this community they have a forum called I maybe stupid, but......

This is the guidance for it that's posted in the forum...
Just thought that it would be good to have a specific place where we can all ask questions and hopefully will be answered by the 'experienced' amongst. Doesn't matter what the questions are or from what era. Of course, I have shed loads so please standby

Would be good if you could start by saying -

I maybe stupid, but......

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Tony said:
Last week we actually started thinking about a new forum for just this sort of thing. A place where newbie’s (and old timers) can ask questions that they feel might be a bit basic or easy. I know that sometimes I wonder about something, but I think it's a really basic thing and I should probably know the answer!! So, this would be a forum that had lots of general questions in it. It would also be a good place to go for new members that wanted to get to grips with a few things and don't really want to look silly on the forum.

I know I'd use it :D

Here's an example...

On this community they have a forum called I maybe stupid, but......

This is the guidance for it that's posted in the forum...
Just thought that it would be good to have a specific place where we can all ask questions and hopefully will be answered by the 'experienced' amongst. Doesn't matter what the questions are or from what era. Of course, I have shed loads so please standby

Would be good if you could start by saying -

I maybe stupid, but......

A kind of high tolerance zone Dummies Guide Area :)

Sounds great.

Matt.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think it's a great idea!

which leads me to a question for Tony / admins - are 'HIDE' buttons available like on BB? - would make this kinda thread a breeze! - add your question and hide the answer in the box;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cool - no problems mate! - was expecting that to be the answer;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Graham / Tony,

There is already a sneaky way of doing that - if you want to know the answer, highlight the blank lines below this paragraph
The Answer is
Change the font colour to white
It only shows when highlighted

Red

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
Graham / Tony,

There is already a sneaky way of doing that - if you want to know the answer, highlight the blank lines below this paragraph
The Answer is
Change the font colour to white
It only shows when highlighted

Red

"MOST EXCELLANT"

Have a rep point Red..Highlight between the " "

LS

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
great call Red! - is so simple it is brilliant! :D

now we have the answer bit sorted I guess we had better start the quiz thread (If only I could think of a question......... :eek: )

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Fenlander said:
What was the question you asked when you joined the site? ;)

strewth I don't know!? :eek:

(and searching my posts hasn't made it any clearer!:lmao: )

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Fenlander said:
I guess post one would need to be a paragraph welcoming people and explaining how to use the thread........anyone up for doing that :confused:

What should the thread be called?

Ok - i'd be game to start the thread off if you like - (would make a nice 500th post don't you think)

I propose keeping it simple (like me) an caling it the BushcraftUK Quiz how does that sound?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ok smartypants! :nana: - thanks for that - i assume you are proud of yourself Ahjno:lmao: !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE