Leki pole problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I recently bought a leki pole from the charity shop. It was a bit stuck and wouldn't lengthen. But I bought it anyway as I figured some wd40 and a pair of pliers would solve the problem. It did... in a way. The bottom bit came unstuck and lengthened out but you could not tighten it again to stop it collapsing when you put it to the ground. Well a bit of research shows how to maintain a pole with this sort of screw which tightens up into an expander which stops the collapse. I seem to have no expander. I can't tell if it's totally wedged in the pole interior or missing. Any expert leki pole users out there with a tip to help me find out which problem I'm facing? Thanks

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My suspicion is that you've left the expander high up in the pole. If you push the pole all the way back to where it was and screw it up a little doesn't it bite? If so you will then need to pull it down but chances are the thread has gone if it's been wrestled with so be careful. You can buy new expanders for a few quid. As long as you want the pole longer than the stuck expander you can just slide the new one in but if you want to shorten the stick beyond the stuck expander you will have to extract it (screw on the end of a pole) or force it further back.

I worry a bit that putting WD40 down a pole will mean the expander doesn't have enough grip anyway but I've never tried it.

expander-for-classic-lock-p3072-17851_image.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ok that gives me the feeling the expander is stuck up the pole as it seems to tighten effectively when it is compressed to minimum length. . Well tomorrow is sorted for a project!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks Broch. Problem solved. I dribbled a bit of gun oil down the bore overnight and it worked. This morning I have a useable pole. It took a couple of tries but it's working just fine now.... off for a bimble and forage of wild garlic. Well invested £4 I think. Happy bunny here!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE