Leek & Potato Soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My take on potato and leek soup. Three Cornered Leek , potato , Nettle & a little Jack-by-the-Hedge. I find it quite harsh in flavour , so I added a tin of blitzed Rice Pudding which mellows it all out , adds creaminess and extra texture. Served with Creme Fraiche and this mornings over exposed ( my fault !! ) Garlic Bread.

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
nice. Rice pudding in soup? You have blown my mind. Also reminds me of cremola my mum used to make. Yum!

I know , I come from the ( made up ) french cooking school of If its Mad but tastes right , its then Not Mad.

So my justification is - You add Rice ( powder ) to Soups to thicken them , the soup was a little too watery for my taste and the texture needed improving.

The Nettles can make a very strong ' metallic ' taste occur , and Dairy tends to lessen the pungency.

Also as I was going to add a dairy element - cream , to soften and enrich the Soup the inclusion or Rice Pudding kinda makes sense on both points.

Hope that makes sense? Try it and let me know what you think.

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Even before I got to your last comment I was,thinking that would go great with your garlic bread. You’re a master chef sir!

Reactions: TeeDee

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
You had inspired me to have a go at this yesterday. No where near your presentation (or taste probably!) I used wild garlic flower buds and young leaves, jack by the hedge tops (just a couple, they are strong) and a few young hawthorn leaves, potatoes (skin on) and a veg stock cube. Blitzed the lot, it was yum.

WP_20200420_007.jpgWP_20200420_008.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You had inspired me to have a go at this yesterday. No where near your presentation (or taste probably!) I used wild garlic flower buds and young leaves, jack by the hedge tops (just a couple, they are strong) and a few young hawthorn leaves, potatoes (skin on) and a veg stock cube. Blitzed the lot, it was yum.

View attachment 58447View attachment 58448

I think thats awesome!! The fact you've gone an made it!! - None of this is a competition of any sorts , I just like show casing what can be made from nature and I think its useful to reconnect with where our food can come from in this day and age where the providence of food is so ambiguous. Think it looks amazing. So pleased you have tried and succeeded with this - maybe we can both encourage others to have a go and showcase their culinary projects? :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
My thoughts exactly, it's a great feeling to understand where your food comes from, especially wild food!

If you keep putting up pics of great looking wild fodder like these then you will encourage plenty!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE