LED Conversion for Petzl Zoom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

I'm considering getting an LED bulb to fit to my petzl zoom, assuming at 1W it will last forever ! Anyone have any experience of this ? I've read reports on the net and there are good and bad opinions about the conversion,

Any hands on experience here ? The one I'm thinking of is the "120 Lumen Cree XP-G2 LED Upgrade in E10 MES Screw Bulb Base"

Cheers. Spartan

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Or you could buy something like the Viper from Alpkit for about £17.50, which would mean no messing around, and give you 120 lumens (so not that far off a 1w).

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would get to candle power forums and read there, you could get the latest led in warm yellow and that will keep you going for a few years. A bit complicated but it's a project!

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Hi,

I'm still using the zoom as it is still 100% waterproof, this one has been in the water more than a few times ( I used an Alpkit headtorch for a while a couple of years ago, really good till it started raining ). You can get the flat batteries still, plus I have the AA converter plus rechargeables.

I'm assuming here this conversion is a straight one for one swap with the standard screw in.

Cheers, Richie

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... plus I have the AA converter plus rechargeables. ...

Oh, now you've got me thinking! The wife and I both have older Petzl head torches, but we stopped using them because they were so heavy on the batteries.

But an LED conversion and rechargeables looks like a real possibility.

Thanks!

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
No probs,

The bulbs and the battery pack are available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Adaptor-for-Zoom-Black/dp/B000T265LM

Although mine is yellow ? I'm pretty sure that I've seen the flat batteries available in rechargeable form but I haven't got one at the mo and can't find them on line ? I'm sure someone with a PhD in Googleology will be able to find it !

You can obviously get the AA rechargeables at your local "Hardware Store"

Cheers, Sp

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
I expect you've now bought the LED conversion - but if you haven't, I got one recently and I'd say it seems to do the job and does it considerably better than even the halogen bulb option for the Zoom. (Now that really is a battery killer!). These days my old Zoom is just relegated to being a spare, but if I didn't have a decent modern LED headtorch I'd be quite happily using the Zoom.

Mine is 20+ years old - it's just had its umpteenth set of head bands, and I have no trouble finding the flat batteries online, and at decent prices. Tiso want £6 for a Duracell! Err, No.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE