Leaves instead of tinfoil?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
torjusg said:
Soaked birch bark can be used.

Nice idea, but there is so little birch around here that it wouldent be right to use it.

Burdock:
man from Wiki says:“. Burrs cause local irritation and can possibly cause intestinal hairballs in pets”

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If it's just for practicing camp cookery, buy a loose leaf cabbage from the supermarket before you go. Wrap the food in the cabbage leaves to do you experimenting and getting the technique right and while you're sitting at home between forays, research which wild leaves are and are not useable. Then when you know what you can use from the field, you'll already be proficient with the technique.

Eric

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Eric_Methven said:
If it's just for practicing camp cookery, buy a loose leaf cabbage from the supermarket before you go. Wrap the food in the cabbage leaves to do you experimenting and getting the technique right and while you're sitting at home between forays, research which wild leaves are and are not useable. Then when you know what you can use from the field, you'll already be proficient with the technique.

Eric

Superb!!!!! :) More cabbages and less tinfoil. Got to be a good thing.

Have some rep :You_Rock_

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Eric_Methven said:
. Wrap the food in the cabbage leaves to do you experimenting and getting the technique right... when you know what you can use from the field, you'll already be proficient with the technique.

Eric

Sensible idea

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May be the bigger leaves on sorrel. Sorrel tastes nice with strong tasting rich fish. Comfey and borage has big not bitter leaves, the hairs should burn off in the fire. Comfey used to be a food plant until it was found out it is a bit carcongenic. I have seen RM use horseradish and burdock. He warms the leaves on the fire to soften them. Sheep sorrel also might have some possiblies.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have six long leaved palm trees in my back garden (I don't know the name of the tree, they were here when I bought the house!) Does anyone know if it would be safe to use these for wrapping food and cook with?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE