Leave no trace fail, or shoddy permission?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey chaps. I came across another, erm, don't really know what to call it the other day. I've been exploring an area in and around the SSSI between Pontneddfechan and Penderyn.

attachment.php

I found it very easily, as it was just yards from the main loop path that people use for visiting the larger waterfalls.
As you can see its a shambles really. It looks to have regular use. The whole construction, to me, looks a mess. Knotwork was unrecognisable, pots and pans left hanging still with burnt food in them, tools lying about. Roof peppered with holes, rubbish strewn about.
I can't believe that it someone's permission, one it's on SSSI land and two, surely it would be better cared for, better constructed and a tad more discreet?
Am I being unreasonable? What do you guys think? I'm amazed that it hasn't been spotted by the wardens. I passed a couple of them on the way over (9am) They were carrying a load of gear, so I asked what they were up to. Laying strips of grip tread on some of the bridges they said. They questioned me too, as they saw the large pack on my back, asked if I was camping. I replied that camping was not permitted in the area. Not sure if they believed me. There are many other scars and traces of morons on the trail, evidence of said morons hacking at trees etc. grrrrr.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 442
  • P1020974.jpg
    P1020974.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 442
  • P1020979.jpg
    P1020979.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 439
  • P1020982.jpg
    P1020982.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 438

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Looks a bit too permanent to be a weekend bushcrafter, my thoughts were either regularly used by local youths or homeless person perhaps?

Location is a bit weird, if I wanted to set up a semi permanent camp my first concern would be discretion and keeping away from the locals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As an after thought, could it be the wardens shelter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly there. Seems too permanent. Also looks like it's been done by someone with half an idea too badly made or not it's quite protective and laid out sensibly

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Reminds me of when we where kids, building dens and cooking hotdogs in a tin, just used to add things we found eg bits of old corrugated roofs and old tarpaulins.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I don't see too much wrong with this, if they were genuinely working on the bridges they probably had permission. OK their knotwork may not be up to much and it's untidy, but I would imagine it is temporary until the job is done.
The work is possibly vital before the winter and in a remote area it may be the cheapest shelter available to keep the price within budget for the job.

I must admit that I do not know the area, but are they working for the estate the camp is on?

Just my thoughts.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I don't see too much wrong with this, if they were genuinely working on the bridges they probably had permission. OK their knotwork may not be up to much and it's untidy, but I would imagine it is temporary until the job is done.
The work is possibly vital before the winter and in a remote area it may be the cheapest shelter available to keep the price within budget for the job.

I must admit that I do not know the area, but are they working for the estate the camp is on?

Just my thoughts.
It isn't remote. The wardens had parked in a small car park that I passed five minutes after meeting them. Also, the shelter is in another valley to where they were fitting the griptread.

Last edited:

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
It isn't remote. The wardens had parked in a small car park that I passed five minutes after meeting them. Also, the shelter is in another valley to where they were fitting the griptread.

I see. Did you mention it to the wardens?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I see. Did you mention it to the wardens?
Sorry, didn't make it clear... I saw the wardens before finding it. Did go back to where they'd parked and searched the trail for them, but they must have moved on. Might make contact though, even if to put feelers out for myself.
It's been bothering me though. Feel like going back and putting the shelter to rights.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Sorry, didn't make it clear... I saw the wardens before finding it. Did go back to where they'd parked and searched the trail for them, but they must have moved on. Might make contact though, even if to put feelers out for myself.
It's been bothering me though. Feel like going back and putting the shelter to rights.

Worth a check in case they are just abusing the place without permission.

I suppose at least they did use camo tarps!

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Worth a check in case they are just abusing the place without permission.

I suppose at least they did use camo tarps!

Yeah, I guess. There is also a massive badger sett just above it, maybe a hundred yards or so. Really recent scrapings and movement of earth. Bet they have some pleasant visitors.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

When you say put it to rights, what do you mean? Dismantle it?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If it's a S.S.S.I. then whoever built it shouldn't be without permission.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I think I'd just leave it, obviously someone has put some time and effort into it, whats it hurting?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A closer examination of the midden mound would reveal more about the occupants but looking at the photographs and the presence of panel saws rather than bow-saws I would say homeless youths.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
A closer examination of the midden mound would reveal more about the occupants but looking at the photographs and the presence of panel saws rather than bow-saws I would say homeless youths.

Or if fitting griptread to the local bridges, maybe just using the tools of their trade?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE