Leatherwork How to make a sporran - video link

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Found this fascinating video made in 1955 showing how a chap made a beautiful sporran -

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=0958

Really interesting to see him using a head knife to cut thongs - using rubber solution to stick the leather. cutting filigree all sorts
Made me quite jealous

Enjoy

cheers
Nick

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thanks for that mate, its fantastic, i love to watch people do things with leather, and see how they go about doing things, i have taken some things from that, because i also use my round knife an awful lot, and to see how he steadied his, with his finger at the bottom, will give that a go.
thanks again
lee.

Last edited:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Its interesting to see that he uses tools that you dont see in tandy catalogues. I have seen the edge pattern cutters in antique/junk shops and walked by them as i didnt understand how to use them - kicking myself now of course.
Definately going to pick up a head knife when i next see one and fancy edge cutters if there are any around. I think that his were really old judging from how much they were rolled over at the striking end, how often do you hit steel with wood & rawhide to do that ???
i will also try heating my edge creasers in future to get a better impression on them.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
thanks for the link!
very educational that one and i get itchy fingers to try for myself.... ;o)

cheers
belabear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE