Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
Ok, all you lot out there. I need a little help, yes, I know, I've been in need of help for years! (Thought I'd get that in before anyone else did. Yes, I'm a spoil sport, I know:nana: ).

As per my blog I'm going to start making some of my own kit to try and save money, and not feel so left out at meet-ups.

One problem, my two big bags of assorted pieces of leather have gone for a walk...:***:

Anyone know where I can get small quantities of leather? Say a few square feet at a time? I don't really need to get a whole side, or even a half, just to make a few pouches.

TIA.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Have you tried charity shops Jak? I know a falconer who uses any leather clothing or old bags he can get at car boot sales to cut up and make new kit.

Or these guys have specials which include off cuts sometimes

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Then what about evil bay? search for falconry because leather returns 1000's of results but people list small sides of leather as falconry supplies.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Shame you dont live near me mate - bachelor brothers sell scrap at a £ for a LB!!

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi

I have a rather large piece of 3.5mm veg tanned leather which i will probably never need all of, if this is suitable i could give you a couple of square feet.

Failing that try le prevo leather they do sections of around 10 square feet leather in various thicknesses for alot less than you would think and when you think how much you could make from it works out really cheap and will last you for a long time. www.leprevo.co.uk ......they are very helpful on the phone.

Hope this is of some help

Michael

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
mmcniven said:
Failing that try le prevo leather they do sections of around 10 square feet leather in various thicknesses for alot less than you would think and when you think how much you could make from it works out really cheap and will last you for a long time. www.leprevo.co.uk ......they are very helpful on the phone.
Have a look in the 2'nd and 3'rd post. :wink: :D

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Oops didnt read them, still it is worth looking at their prices for sides, they are not as expensive as most people think.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I to am on the lookout for cheap leather. I have tried the saddlers in my area but all their leather is 5mm thick, which I find is to thick for a sheath (thats what the current 1 is made out of). Thanks for the heads up on the locak charity shops, I'll go looking next week. Not only do I want a new knife sheath, but want to make a belt pouch for a torch, a small knife, multi tool and possibly my phone, although I may make a seperate 1 for that.

The only thing that worries me is that the clothing leather is too thin for what we want to do with it.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
The norm for sheaths & similar is 7-8Oz or 8-9Oz. This is the approximate weight per sq ft of the leather; not that much use per se until you find out that the thickness conforms - more or less - to 1Oz per 1/64". So 8Oz is about 3.2mm, 5mm corresponds to around 12-13Oz...

Garment and handbag leathers tend to be around the 2Oz mark tops, AND they are usually chrome tanned, not veg tanned - chrome tanned leather has chemicals remaining in it that can corrode steel.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hi Rob,

What about leather belts? I was going to buy one from the Ray mears site, but if there is and equally good deal about????
And what about a nice possibles pouch?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
As per previous post, I've bought good hides off Ebay from American sellers, there is usually a good range of weights available too.

Greg

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
greg2935 said:
As per previous post, I've bought good hides off Ebay from American sellers, there is usually a good range of weights available too.

Do you not get slammed on shipping? There's also the caveat emptor thing, I guess...

I noticed today that http://www.traditionalmaterials.co.uk/html/main.php also does leather in small pieces. £6 per sq ft, plus a cutting charge (which seems only reasonable, really!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE