leather

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I am wanting to make a leather sheath for my knife and was looking for some info on how to do it and also where to get leather and what kind to use.

Thanks Calum

leon-1

Calum, if you are making sheaths one of the things to consider is the weight of the knife. For a frosts mora / small scandi knives you can use 2.5mm or so. Larger knives like the woodlore / F1 I tend to use a heavier grade from 3.2mm upwards.

There are tutorials on how to make a sheath both from the homepage on BCUK and over on british blades (the user was Tvividr) over there did a pretty good one. You can get some good results with nothing more than an awl, an overstitch wheel and a sharp knife, that's how the replacement for this was made.

helleeggenyo3.jpg

That was a nice little Helle Eggen, but the sheath had a problem namely this.

damageou5.jpg

Someone had managed to drive the knife through the back, they asked me If I could make a replacement in heavier leather, this is the back of the replacement before it has been waxed.

replacementbackhq4.jpg

and this is it in comparison to the original.

replacementhe2.jpg

The good thing about it is the lack of tools you require to start with.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Rapidboy did a sheath tutorial here, it's a sticky and where I started from.

As for the bits, see if you can trade them here. Le Prevo start with big bits.

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I am looking for a small bit to make a sheath for a frost mora does anyone have some spare that size as i don't want to buy such a large bit off Le Prevo. Also if any one had any spare tools they would be greatly appreciated.

leon-1

I am looking for a small bit to make a sheath for a frost mora does anyone have some spare that size as i don't want to buy such a large bit off Le Prevo. Also if any one had any spare tools they would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need much in the way of tools.

Needles, size 1 Harness needles get from here
An awl blade, you will need either a 37 or 45mm awl blade, which you can get from here
You need an awl handle, there are three here and I have used all of them, the cheap one is as good as the others, awl hafts

You can use a ruler and a pencil to mark the frequency of your stitches (one every 5mm will do the job).

Leather you want is 2.5mm veg tanned.
You will need about 18/3 linen thread and beeswax or tiger thread.

I think you can find tutorials on BB and on Leprevo on how to stitch that are pretty good.

The awl blades and hafts can be used for other things, last year I used one for punching holes in plastic sheeting for my sheds roof. The needles are needles and can be used for other things so by buying them you are not losing out on anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE