leather water bottle pouch

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
I love my Sigg oval water bottle, but hated not having anything to carry it round with if not taking the pack with me.

It is made with 3mm belt leather, dark brown dye used to create a wood effect. The engraving was done with standard scalpel as don't have a swivel knife as yet, although that would have made the finishing a bit better.

All comments welcome.

thanks Adam

Oh and the image was one that I found on google images by Natalie Asplund. NOt taking credit for the image, just the engraving.

Attachments

• 02052008050.jpg
    02052008050.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 204

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That's nice! Just a quick tip, I do loads of stuff on leather and I never use a swivel knife. A scalpel is fine but you may find you get a better finish if you just do a single fine cut, only penetrating the leather just below the grain layer (wet the leather first of course). Then use the handle of a tea spoon to push the image down on one side of the cut. You can use the edge of the teaspoon handle for very fine lines and the width for broader areas you wish to depress. This will give you a much better 3-D effect. All in all though, a damn good effort.

Eric

3Please

Forager
Jan 3, 2007
London
That's nice! Just a quick tip, I do loads of stuff on leather and I never use a swivel knife. A scalpel is fine but you may find you get a better finish if you just do a single fine cut, only penetrating the leather just below the grain layer (wet the leather first of course). Then use the handle of a tea spoon to push the image down on one side of the cut. You can use the edge of the teaspoon handle for very fine lines and the width for broader areas you wish to depress. This will give you a much better 3-D effect. All in all though, a damn good effort.

Eric

Thanks Eric

That is a useful tip, gonna try that out on something. I knew about wetting the leather, but couldn't much on leather work on the net. Strapped for cash at the moment so unable to get hold of any leather working books for tips.

Thanks again, tea spoon, brilliantly simple.:D

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
That looks awsome! I always wanted something to carry a bottle around if not carrying a bag so thanks for the idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE