leather treatment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I did a search as I expect this will have been coverd but couldn't find anything
people mention Nicwax quite a lot. I've also heard of people using renapour which is what my dad uses on his motor bike coat. I don't really know where to go with this as I'm not sure I know the right questions to ask. so here are the ones that spring to mind
*what do you use on your leather pouches/sheaths and why?
*does it matter if you start mixing things
*does anyone use normal boot polish on black sheaths?
*some of these products mention softening the leather, is that a bad thing with sheaths? (fallkniven f1 coverd sheath in perticular)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Andy, rawhide and leather are skin. The leather has been tanned by traditional brain and vegetable formulas or modern chemicals to stabilise the fibers. It still needs to maintain a moisture percentile not dissimilar to living tissue. The various treatments hopefully renew or lock in this ideal moisture and also provide a protective finish against abrasion, temperature extremes and excess moisture. Some formulas can be detrimental in the long run. Virgin olive oil quickly turns bright tan saddlery leather the darker mahogany shades people love. It also goes rancid, rotting cotton or linen threads and aging the leather to premature failure. Some ersatz neatsfoot compounds are equally dangerous.Petroleum and silicone products are also hard on leathers. Most good products will have a combination of beeswax( waterproofing) and stabilised animal oils. The danger of softening leather is overzealous application, much like people who oversharpen a blade. Soon the blade is a pick and the sheath a limp and formless mass. Black leather has always been a different game because of the dyes used. Look at a set of traditional horse harness in all that patent black leather and shiny brass. The reins are still brown. Why? that black dye rubs off onto gloves and any excess moisture washes it into a pale purple. That is why the splendid Fallkniven sheaths recommend simple polish. You are sealing not only the leather, but that rather unstable dye. There are many fine leather products. I would simply find a saddlery and use a good recommended compound.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE