Leather Pro's: Washing/Cleaning a leather jacket at Home?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Dry cleaning is the obvious choice, I want to reduce my travel to an absolute minimum and I have 2 jackets I want to clean,
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread.

How to Clean/wash a leather Jacket at home?

Thanks

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a leather motorcycle jacket. All I do to clean it is to wipe it down with a clean damp cloth, I use a j cloth.
Then I use a suitable leather waterproofing like nickwax, which keeps the leather supple, and also much easier to wipe off any dirt.
If the inside lining needs a clean, I have no idea, but I would not wash it in any conventional sense.
Having owned leather jackets for many years, I've never needed to clean the inside, but sometimes you get a grubby mark where the lining meets your body round the collar and cuffs. If that's the case, I'd simply use a gentle soap very sparingly and a cloth, and try to rub it off without soaking it or making a lot of lather as it will be hard to rinse out.
If it's a bit "armpity", I'd spray the lining only with some febreeze.
I dont worry too much about the inside with mine, as I dont seem to get a grubby interior.(must be all my clean living :) )

Reactions: Toddy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
As mentioned, there’s not much that can be done for a fixed lining, apart from some gentle sponging and careful drying. Unless of course the lining is removable. For the actual leather I always use Gliptone products - Google is your friend.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you are able to freeze it for several weeks you probably would kill most of the bacteria who live in it, but you don't loose a smell. Put it in a plastic bag to avoid freezing to the fridge.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are able to freeze it for several weeks you probably would kill most of the bacteria who live in it, but you don't loose a smell. Put it in a plastic bag to avoid freezing to the fridge.
I realy wouldn't recommend that! Woolens perhaps, but not a good idea for leather. Plus it would take up a lot of room better used for food at the present time!
Gentle sponging and a good leather care application should be all that's needed. One of my bike jackets,... I have two,.. is over 30 yrs old, and still in good condition, due to proper care.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Why should it get damaged if frozen dry?
That question isn't even relevant to the post.
I reiterate. Slowly,
The o p wants to know how to Clean A Leather Jacket.... not how to rid it of clothing vermin! For which your suggestion would work.
Freezing it, will not clean it!

Reactions: Erbswurst

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Use some saddle soap to clean the leather,then re treat with something like duckwax to rstore water repelency.
If lined and smelly under the armpits try white vinegar sprayed on and left to dry ,this also works well on washable items .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE