Leather pouch for British Army Folder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
And while I'm asking stupid questions............

My everyday folder is the old pattern British Army knife, the one with the big folding spike for getting Boy Scouts out of horses hooves! You know, the ones with the nice bakelite type black handles!

What I'm after is a nice, quality brown leather pouch for it to live in BUT, I want it to lay horizonally on my belt, not vertically as is the norm, so that when I bend over it doesn't dig me in the groin as I tend to wear it towards the front of my belt. A good, secure, press stud fastener on the flap would be the billy-doo!

Any of you leatherworkers out there fancy having a go?

Yeoman

M

mikehill

Sorry to jump in .. could you post a few pics of your work ? I'm fascinated by talented leather workers :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Not sure that I fall under the category of "talented" :eek: , but I'll post these few pics as examples of a few of the pieces I've made. :)

The first is the sheath for the first knife I made from scratch..

This is a set of bits that I did some while ago, Mask for a Fiskars Axe, pancake sheath for a Benchmade Pardue Rant Drop-Point knife, sheath for a Buck/Strider 888 Solution knife and a sheath for my 10" blade Original Pattern Bowie..

Mask for my GB SFA..

Two shots of a custom sheath I made for a customers TOPS Tom Brown Tracker knife. This was made as a commission and I gave it a double line of hand stitching..

and one of the knife and sheath I made for the first BCUK Brantub..

I don't have my own pictures of any of my wet-moulded belt pouches for folders, but you can see one on this thread from BB along with the customers kind comments and the other couple of sheaths I made for him at the time. http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20180&highlight=Monster+bowie

M

mikehill

I'd call that pretty talented ;) How much is the outlay on tools etc ... I'm presently fitting handles to F1's etc .. and will be grinding my own blades soon, but would love to make my own sheaths as well :)

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
thats some lovely work longstrider im sure i do not speak for myself when i say i wish i was able to do something like that. great stuff :You_Rock_

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Surrey Yeoman said:
And while I'm asking stupid questions............

My everyday folder is the old pattern British Army knife, the one with the big folding spike for getting Boy Scouts out of horses hooves! You know, the ones with the nice bakelite type black handles!

Yeoman

Yeoman - any idea where I can get a replacement one of these? I've been looking for a while and the only thing I've seen like it is the Lewis model, which is pretty expensive. I know that the Brit army folder is 'street legal' (in quotes because I think this is a largely grey and subjective area) and is just a basic penknife - but, before any bladeophiles jump in, that's all I want!

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
2navy.jpg

States that these are now only available in black

Its stainless though (if this matters)

down at the bottom of the page

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/Folding_Knives.html

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I got one of mine on ebay and the other from a local surplus shop. Both are the three piece variety, with Lambsfoot main blade, bottle/can opener blade and the marlin spike on the back, as per this design.

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/3pcbritarmybex.jpg

One of mine is the Belgian variety dated 1951 and by Colin Winand and the other one is a true British one dated 1947 - it's at work at the moment and I can't remember who the make is. I've gone for the older ones as they seem to be better made than the modern variants. I have to say that the 1951 Winand is the better made of my two.

Keep an eye on ebay - search on British Army Knife or Clasp Knife or MOD Knife - the Belgian ones come up quite regularly. Both mine were still in their original packing and covered in grease. I cleaned mine off in a bean can with boiling water and fairy liquid and dried it with a rag, then left it on a radiator for a day to dry fully before adding a dab of 3 in 1 oil to the hinges. Sharpened up on a waterstone, the main blade holds its edge for about 3 or 4 months at a time with the use I give it.

Yeoman

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
...........And thanks for the kind offers from the "Leather Men" to make me a pouch!

If I may, I'll take you up on your kind offer Longstrider!

I'll PM you with my email & phone number.

Yeoman

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I had my dads pocket knife,the one with the bakerlite scales.Nice knife but sadly I lost it :( I shall buy another some time.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
lastscanpfx2.jpg

Hi ,the case you are looking for is how the australian stockmen wear their knives. I made made this case for a friend ,the back can be changed. It is made from veg tanned leather and all hand tooled with the owners initials.
cheers topknot.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks SimonE and Yeoman - the black handled one is exactly what I was thinking of.

Oddly enough, my dad had one in his toolkit in the garage and I remember him using it when I was really young. Maybe that's why I'd quite like to have one too?

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Just felt I had to resurrect this thread to say a BIG thank-you to Longstrider! The pouches he made for my British Army Knives arrived today and I have to say that they are truely the Dog's Danglies!

I'm over the moon with them. I just wish I could post pictures of them for you all to see, but I'm too dumb to work out how to do it :( Tried to upload them to the gallery, but apparently they're too big or something :confused:

Thanks Longstrider :You_Rock_

Yeoman :cop:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just saw this and had to say:

a) no surprise on Longstrider work - talented fellah that he is!

b) topknot - can you post larger picture(s) of that case please? I'm in love!

Red

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm glad you like them Yeoman. I'd never been asked for a cross-carry pouch for a folder before. Quite pleased with how they came out. One tip to any other leatherworkers out there... Don't volounteer to make a dozen of these for your mates until you've done one. Stitching the cross carry belt loop on seperately from the stitching that holds the pouch together is a real P.I.T.A. ;)

Thanks for sorting the pictures Red.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE