Leather for a Fjallraven Knapsack.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
About 25 years ago I bought a leather knapsack in an outdoor pursuits shop in London’s Kensington High Street. The name Fjallraven meant nothing to me at the time, and I probably never even noticed the manufacturer’s name.

For the last couple of years I have been tying to find out who the manufacturer was, all I had to go on was a leather label sown onto the sack, that seemed to be some sort of animal. I had a vague recollection that the sack was of Norwegian origin and that the animal was a wolf. It turned out that I was wrong on both counts!

Then about 18 months ago I was watching one of RM’s bushcrafting programmes for the first time, and spotted someone wearing clothing with the very same leather label with the curled up ‘wolf’. But I still had no idea who the manufacturer was (I was hoping to obtain a replacement sack).
Then one day, while looking for trousers I stumbled upon the Fjallraven Web site, and the mystery of the manufacturer was finally resolved. There was the logo of a curled up ‘wolf’ that turned out to an arctic fox. The relief was sweet indeed!

Anyway, many, many years ago, I was transporting a tin of linseed oil based paint in the knapsack. I had not properly secured the lid of the tin and the linseed oil badly stained the leather on the base of the sack.

I would like to replace the stained leather, and repair some of the stitching. The leather is very soft, a light coloured, unstained finish (other than the unintentional linseed oil ones), possibly reindeer hide.

Does anyone know of a source of this kind of leather, or indeed can confirm that Fjallraven used to make their leather knapsacks from reindeer hide? I did email Fjallraven several months ago, but never received a reply.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE