Leather Care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Being the proud owner of some nice leather kit, I would like to know how best to take care of it, so it lasts as long as I do.
So, any tips or tricks on methods of cleaning, and how to take care of these items please.
I have some bees wax, and am willing to use it to make whatever I need to.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Being the proud owner of some nice leather kit, I would like to know how best to take care of it, so it lasts as long as I do.
So, any tips or tricks on methods of cleaning, and how to take care of these items please.
I have some bees wax, and am willing to use it to make whatever I need to.

Hi. For nearly all my leather bits, boots, bags, packs, whether the nubuck/suede bits, or split leather, I use exactly the same method.

Clean with a damp sponge using any saddle soap, allow to dry naturally, then rub in *neatsfoot oil with your fingers, allow to dry naturally, finally rub in a beeswax based polish with your fingers. I use Gwax graingers.

*On boots, dont go mad with the neatsfoot oil as it softens the leather quite a bit, so just use it periodically, every few months, like youre supposed to use a leather conditioner. You want pure neatsfoot oil, sometimes they add chemicals.

This is the best method Ive found, and its a lot cheaper than buying all the branded waxes, conditioners, cleaners, polishes etc. I've also used a lod of those, and theyre are plenty of decent brands available.

Just buy a big 2.5litre neatsfoot oil which should last a long time.

Also I use Renwax for my sheaths.

Theres a scandinavian product called Wilmas bear creme, for boots, which contains real bear fat!​

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
I have found that baby wipes are great for cleaning, been using them on my bike leathers for ages, always treat the leather was well but for just the initial clean they are great, although have to wonder if they are suitable for use on babies ;-)

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have found that baby wipes are great for cleaning, been using them on my bike leathers for ages, always treat the leather was well but for just the initial clean they are great, although have to wonder if they are suitable for use on babies ;-)

Well I've got plenty of those around, so I can give that a try as well!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Saddle soap is not for cleaning leather, you clean it first using a damp cloth with warm water, then apply saddle soap to keep the leather supple.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Neetsfoot oil until it's soft enough, and then dubbin to protect it. That's it' I've used very little else for 40 years, on boots, baseball gloves, camping gear, luggage, pool cue cases, wallets, everything. You can even use the same method to restore the nastiest old dry leather. Neetsfoot oil and Dubbin. That's it.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Would you use anything different for unsealed kangaroo leather? Just I don't want to make it too shiny, as it's naturally quite matt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I only know this: each time I think about leather and ask a ton of questions, I always end up using meets foot oil and dubbin and then wonder why I ever asked in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Fair enough. I have some saddle soap on order, and will see how that goes. Thanks for all the tips :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE