Leather BCUK Badge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
So there i am, watching something on TV and wham, it came to me in a flash.

We have so many members on here who work wonders with leather, why not try something a bit different. I've seen some clothing with leather badges on (some Swanndri items, etc) why not suggest some leather BCUK badges, all tooled etc? Brown leather squares with the logo tooled into it?

Nothing against the embroidered badges, but i think the leather ones look classier and subtle. It also goes with the natural produce type of thing.

Anybody out there agree? Your views, if you please! :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Proberbly best clear this with Tony first - copyright and all that? That is if you’re looking to make more than one and for your own use.

Nice idea though.

Cheers

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've PM'ed Tony just to make him aware of my 'suggestion' and that is all it is, no copyright infringment intended and anyway, i could'nt find a certain part of my anatomy with both hand's, a map and a torch, so tooling leather is not within my capabilities. It would look like something like what a proud parent would attach to a fridge door with magnets............................'this is the BCUK logo by Jedadiah aged 38yrs and 2 months!' :D

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Put me down for the first or second one produced if they are to be hand-tooled and even if, as is more likely, it takes the form of an embossing with steel stamp.

Cheers

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Klenchblaize said:
Put me down for the first or second one produced if they are to be hand-tooled and even if, as is more likely, it takes the form of an embossing with steel stamp.

Cheers

OI, it was MY Idea, back o the line!!!!! :naughty:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was just thinking along the same lines myself. Here's one I did for my own use. It would be easy to include the BCUK or SOTP logo. In this case I have tooled oak leaves and acorns.

namebadge1.jpg

Another view
namebadge3.jpg

namebadge2.jpg

This one is antiqued but it would be a simple matter to dye the name and foliage in lighter colours.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Greg said:
Nice one Eric, are you volunteering to make the badges then?:D

Yes, if you like. I'll have to clear it with Tony and John (SOTP) first though. I won't be getting a dedicated stamp made for the logo's though, so each one will be done completely by hand.

I'll make up a couple of samples and post photos here. Then if people are interested, I can make some to suit the individual.

Anyone wanting one like mine, without the corporate logos, PM me and I can knock them out straight away.

Eric

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Loverleee!
I know it may be a trade secret as it is your employment but where can one get leather stamping tools at sensible prices?
I have tried carving Box wood dies but I am a c**p carver!
The only dies I have seen locally (Alpha numeric sets) are hugely expensive.
I rue the day I turned down a set of dies - about 20 of various designs - for £5!
John

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think Eric has done a terrific job on that Badge, well done geezer.

On the subject of copyright infringment and cost, maybe Eric could charge a price that would not see him out of pocket but allow him to make a donation to BCUK or an appropriate charity, or maybe Tony could contact Eric or any others direct and commision a BCUK badge and everyone would be happy.

Eric, how much would you charge for a badge such as this as it stands? Obviously, you'd have to take into account time, materials and your superlative skill's. It must need a very steady hand and more patience than a Chess grand master!

Thanks for all the PM's saying what a good idea it was, but please, the talent is in the creation and should be recognised.

If i put up a poll such as 'would you buy an official BCUK leather badge?' maybe the results would convince Tony to commission some. He could even add collectables such as the year or something on the badge, or 'Bushmoot 07' or some such legend.

All in favour of a poll?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aaaaaaah! Life is spooky!
I just asked where to get leather dies etc (not realy expecting a reply) and then went into town. As per normal I visited Barnardos looking for anything I could turn into something and THE LADY SERVING ASKED ME IF I WANTED A FULL SET OF LEATHER CRAFTING KIT! At a very reasonable price at that....
Spooky!
But I still want one of Erics badges!
John

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I know very little about working with leather. Are you marking your leather by scraping out the surface?

I found this little tutorial on how to pressure emboss leather.

http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/Project01.html

Would this be a reasonable alternative method? If you wanted to be more primitive you could make the pattern by directly cutting a wood block?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE