Leasing land for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I do a fair bit of shooting on local farms where we lease the rights to shooting from the farmer, it's not usually very expensive to rent the land for this purpose as we have very little impact on the land itself.

Given the relative small cost of the lease this had me thinking, would there be a viable option for a small syndicate of like minded people to rent some similar land for Bushcrafting etc

Whats everyone's thoughts on something like this? Is it a complete no go a shot we have access to such beautiful countryside or does it appeal to anyone to have a place to bushcraft?

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
personally i dont think it necessary since we have a write to responsible access. but on the other hand would be good to know that its ok to us some of the natural resources without any hassle.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've been thinking something similar.

When I was a younger man, I worked on quite a few farms. I sort of leased myself out to where ever needed me, so I got to know many people in a large area of the North West of England.

As a result, I know they have woodland, I know what they use it for, and most positively, they remember me as a younger man and how hard I worked for them. I'm almost positive I could persuade then to let me have an area for bushcraft activities, and I'd be more than happy personally to do fencing work or even dig ditches for them if it meant there was an area we could meet up in.

There are more options than renting... most farmers would appreciate a hand with the jobs they have rather than the cash... they would have to pay a pretty penny to get jobs done that they don't have time for, whereas if they were offered an exchange of camping space for jobs completed, they will gladly embrace the option.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
personally i dont think it necessary since we have a write to responsible access. but on the other hand would be good to know that its ok to us some of the natural resources without any hassle.

A right to responsible access in Scotland, but England has a very different position. You're lucky to have such an agreement... we have no such agreement this side of the border :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it really more of an insurance problem having people camping as opposed to shooting? Seems strange if true

Hunters don't often burn down your forest. Just as campers don't often shoot someone. The liability for damage or injury's there either way; just different types of injury or damage.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com

One of the other options is to develop those natural resources over time, imagine the possibilitys you could have if you were able to tailor an area for foraging etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE