Lean-to Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
I'm considering having an attempt at a lean-to shelter tonight as the weather has been fine for a few days and my mate and i are going out camping.Are there any tips that you could give me to make the whole process easier. :confused:

P.S. This is my first shelter. :(

leon-1

Siting the shelter properly is important.

Wind direction has a very large effect on your comfort, if you are going to be near large areas of water (the sea or a lake) remeber that the wind direction may change to be the total opposite later on at night or in the evening.

You need to have water within a reasonable distance, but remeber where there is water there are insects and you will not want to be eaten alive.

Don't set it up on a ridge as ridges tend to be more exposed to the elements (wind and rain) in some places (the jungle for instance) you may find that they are prone to deadfall areas as well.

Don't set it up in the lower ground as troughs fill with cold air of a night and if it rains heavilly you may find it turning into a watercourse.

If the roof is at a steep angle it will shed water faster and better, but reduces the sleeping area by making it narrower and requires a lot more debris to stack up to cover it, but at the same time if it is too shallow it will not shed water so quickly and the debris will become sodden and possibly leak (as well as becoming heavy and putting more stress on the shelter itself). Look towards a 45 to 60 degree angle (more the latter)

Make a good bed using bracken and the likes and it will insulate you very well.

Use your jackets turned inside out to collect the debris, it will allow you to collect more a lot faster and reduces the amount of trips you will make.

Oh and make sure it is long enough.

All the best with the night out :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Strike Team said:
leon-1:

Just to clarify, is that 60 degrees from vertical, or from the ground?

Start with the stick on the ground, it is flat....lift one end until you have a 45 degree angle between the floor and the stick, then lift the end a little higher until it is 60 degrees making up the angle. If you go to far you will end up with the stick at 90 degrees which is vertical. So it's somewhere between 45 degrees and 90 degrees.

Know what you mean about the other way though so worth clarifying but that would be 30 degrees as I've explained it above :D

Does that make sence Mate?

Bam. :D

leon-1

bambodoggy said:
Start with the stick on the ground, it is flat....lift one end until you have a 45 degree angle between the floor and the stick, then lift the end a little higher until it is 60 degrees making up the angle. If you go to far you will end up with the stick at 90 degrees which is vertical. So it's somewhere between 45 degrees and 90 degrees.

Know what you mean about the other way though so worth clarifying but that would be 30 degrees as I've explained it above :D

Does that make sence Mate?

Bam. :D

Hi Phil, yep you are right in what you,are saying, it is degree from the ground up with 90 degrees being vertica.

45 degrees works but as an optimum 60 degrees is beter as the debris is easier to build up (obviously) than a 90 degree angle and at the same time has a higher "run-off" than a 45 degree angle

45 degrees works but is more likely to have things seep through over a perod of time.

Just clarification.

I hope this makes sense :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE