Leaking Vaude Hogan tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
As you may have guessed by the title I have had a massive issue with a leaking vaude Hogan sul 2p,the tent was an eBay purchase just before christmas and arrived in near perfect condition with only a few muddy marks on the groundsheet,all the flysheet and poles intact,all in all well chuffed.
That all changed after the one and only wild camp I have used it on,to be fair it was a pretty wet camp,ground conditions were damp but not waterlogged and the rain was steady but not heavy well I awoke to a patchwork quilt of dampness covering the groundsheet and when I placed my hand on it it was wet,the underside of my sleep mate was soaked through,I was gutted,then when I took the flysheet down it was absolutely wringing wet,no amount of shaking would rid the flysheet of any excess water.
I have a silnylon rucksack cover and that dries pretty quick but this tent took an age to dry at home,I can sort of understand the groundsheet wetting out because it is so thin(a footprint would solve this)but for a tent worth £300+ new to double in weight is just not acceptable,does anyone know of a way to reproof silnylon,should I contact Vaude or just cut my losses and get another tent because I don't want a multi night camp to be ruined using this tent.
Any input gladly welcomed.

tap tap tapping away

James1173

Dec 29, 2013
Marchington (staffordshire)
I take it that because it was so wet you couldn't see where the leak was coming from? All I can suggest is re proofing the material with that spray on stuff from nikwax. And if it's leaking from the seams you could try iron on goretex seam tape, I got a 5m reel of it off eBay to re seal my bivi bag and it's worked a treat. Other than that I don't know what to say mate.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Contact Vaude, their support is usually very good. Your experience is very uncharacteristic of Vaude's tents. I've had a Hogan since 2002, and it's not let me down yet.

J

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I would try washing it in NikWax TechWash, this may restore the DWR. There are many things that can strip the DWR finish from fabrics. Some are reversible, some are not.
If this doesn't work I would contact Vau De, if you need their number I have it at work. They may ask to see the tent or direct you to the retailer that you purchased it from. This is where it may get tricky. Your initial claim for warrantee lies with the retailer.
If you want to PM your details I can always return the tent to them for you through work.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Sorry for any confusion the tent didn't leak from the flysheet it just became saturated,the groundsheet soaked up the water,all in all the tent seemed to act as a sponge.
My other problem is that it is an eBay buy so I have no idea what the previous owner did to the tent,they may have washed it in a washing machine for all I know.
I think an email to Vaude maybe the best starting point.

tap tap tapping away

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Washing in a machine isn't necessarily damaging. It depends of what cleaner you use.
I've washed Vau De, TNF, Terra Nova & MSR fly sheets without any problems.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
As I own some paramo I'm pretty well versed in nikwax,I've never treated silnylon before does it need special treatment?

tap tap tapping away

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE