Leading youngsters astray

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No, it isn't what you think...

I was walking the dog along the canal towpath this evening, when I heard a tawny owl call. Now I do a fair impression of the long 'Huuuuu' call of the adult bird, so I duly called, and lo and behold, 2 obviously newly-fledged juveniles started calling and begging for food.

I've had this happen before at this time of year, and the young birds will often come quite close (I've seen them perch less than 20 feet away in well-lit areas), but never before has it been two birds at once, so it was a perfect opportunity to see them. I kept hooting whilst walking away from them, and they followed, moving from tree to tree. At one point the two birds were sat side by side on the same branch. They could see me quite clearly, but because I was making the right noises, they thought I was going to feed them. Despite their reputation, owls are not the brightest of birds.

Apart from the childish delight I get from getting a wild bird to follow me, I find it wonderful to watch how silently they fly. I saw them move repeatedly, quite low, but didn't hear a thing from their wings. They called incessantly though! My view was just the silhouettes, but that is still more than you usually get with tawnys, as they tend to call from the centre of trees.

Doing the owl impression later in the year often gets me into territorial disputes with adult birds. I lose, because they are better at being an owl than I am, but the volume these dim-witted feather dusters can achieve when they are roused is amazing.

Wonderful birds. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hahaha, oh, thats bully!

Owls are fine...until they keep you awake.

And yes, I tease them too

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
I'm out in the sticks and I get to talk to loads of birds, It really does cheer you up. Last winter near me was a winter roost of about a dozen Tawny owls and the winter before the was a roost of FIFTY Long Eared Owls in another village. They were right next door to a friend of mine all in the one wee group of three or four trees. Truly amazing.

I have another really unusual thing going on at the moment.

Swallows nesting, nothing unusual in that but the nest is in the MIDDLE of the room.

The adult birds sit above me as I drink my tea or have my dinner.

I have Red backed Shrike nesting in the grapevine next to my window. Cirl bunting and Corn bunting in the garden near the fence. A whole host of sparrows in the pipes that support the vines and a woodpecker started on one of my plum trees.

This wee list is only an indication of what is around here. Bulgaria has lived up to everything I hoped for. Happy bunny:lmao:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Its moorhens or coots for me. Not sure which but they make a real racket on the canal round the back of me house. Ducks occasionally too but the coots are real noisy and especially at night sometimes. This is when I'm tucked up inside my house in bed. The canal is probably about 50-100 metres away too. Also get the odd Tawny too. I don't mind them though. I do like the cats fighting though, some fights last some time but I can never catch them deespite following the noise back. Yet to see any foxes. Want to but suspect too near the countryside for them to bother with around our house. Reckon I saw a mink or something like that by the canal in February while out running. Sorry off topic.

Never managed to "communicate" with birds but I did get lost in some forestry trakcs and paths once when I got re-drected around a large area of forestry operations (not clear cutting just thinning I think). I kept getting so far and in the dusk (late December in the gloom before full darkness without head torch) I would lose the next post with a sign saying this way. Anyway the place seemed to be full of robins (or just the one showing me the way out) who perch on the post with it being a higher point that is what they like to perch on and calling away. Initially it annoyed me and I'd turn around and swear and curse at it/them like it was their fault I was stuck their nearly lost. Then I realised I could use their call to get out of the woods.

One call I heard not so long ago was an old fashioned telephone call. I think it was a blackbird who was mimicking an old fashioned bell type telephone. SInce they stopped making them years ago I think I can only suspect that someone in that village has a mobile that has it as a ringtone. It is funny how I kept falling for that call and start looking round for a telephone to answer. I was only quite young too when I last heard one of those telephones ring too but it stuck with me. Turns out that is not uncommon as my friends told me that there are a few places where the birds have mimicked telephone ring tones. Not just blackbirds neither.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...One call I heard not so long ago was an old fashioned telephone call. I think it was a blackbird...

More often starlings.

We've had quite a few swallows in the house in the last couple of years. One scared the wife out of her wits when she got out of bed and saw something flying straight towards her at chest height, five or six feet away doing about 20 knots. She let out a scream that had me out of bed in a second, wondering what the hell was going on and ready to do battle for her honour. The young swallow just turned sharp right and flew out of the window. You could see it was wondering what all the fuss was about. A second or so later, the wife figured out what it was and burst out laughing. At me.

At the moment it's more bats than anything. Pipestrelle and a few Mediterranean Horseshoe.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
More often starlings.
True but not in this case as only birds around were blackbirds or a few sparrows. Starlings are well known for vaired calls and mimickry but same with blackbirds. I've heard a story of someone who had a captive blackbird that they taught to mimic noises once. It was before my time but a tale from an old guy.

Another tale was with a pet minah bird. There was some construction work going on in SNowdonia area and the guy who told the guy who told me the story was lodging with his mate at an old spinster's place while the workers sleeping dorms were built. They came back to find their stuff dumped on the doorstep because his mate had been sneaking downstairs at night to teach the old lady's minah bird swear words. Seems the bird told the vicar to eff off!! not good since it was in the 60s and the area was strict chapel!! Seems it got around and the prim and proper old lady suddenly was thoguht of as less prim and proper as it must have been from her that the bird learnt those words!! The two guys spent the whole of the winter sleeping rough and in barns as a result. I did wonder if the lady managed to un-teach the bird to swear or if it ended up strangled and buried in the garden!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They used to keep a mynah bird in the upstairs Tearoom in Tunnock's (of caramel wafer and teacake) fame in the Main Street in Uddingston.
I hated it when we got seated near that blooming bird. Used to scare the wits out of me. Fine to watch from the other side of the room and to listen to it wolf whistle and chatter away, but I was never fond of fluttery things.

It'd be considered a H & S and hygiene nightmare that now :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
MY grandparents had a budgie that could talk. Well it could make a sound like a few phrases. It was well before I was around though when my Mum was a kid. I never knew budgies had that in them to mimic the human voice. Parrots yes but budgies??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE