Lavvu - "tipi" Kultalavvu. REVIEW

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I got a Lavvu (KULTALAVVU normal price Euro 258) on ebay from these people:
www.feuerzelte.de. {top of page click on KULTALAVVU & more}

I was pretty lucky at bidding and got it for about Euro 165, including postage to Ireland. I have been trying to get one on ebay for the past year but normally they go for much more.
I used the German version of ebay www.ebay.de search for “tipi”

One is for sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Tipi-Rucksacktip...6QQihZ010QQcategoryZ77571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Ebay article number: 200063842496

Just tried it out today for the first time when I took it out sea kayaking (well, to be honest lake kayaking in a sea kayak). I am very happy with it. It was freezing cold with force 7 winds and the tent stood up well. I lit a fire using one of those fire logs – which are normally very smoky – no problems with smoke; although the wind did help the draft, and it was really, really warm.

It is small as “tipi” type tents go and light

Some specs:
------------------------------------------------
(My translation of the published specs)

Weight 1,3 Kg including poles, (tent only) 1.1 Kg
Dimensions: 2.45 m high, 2.40 m wide. “square” profile – pyramid shape
Space for up to 3 people lying down (with fire and gear) up to 8 people can sit at the fire comfortably
Pack dimensions: 30 x 19 x 12 cm
MATERIAL: flame resistant waterproof RipStop-Polyester

---------------------------------------------------
To sit 8 people around the fire you would have to be pretty good friends :p

Overall an excellent tent. Apart from the low price, the dimensions and lightness make it an ideal tent for sea kayaking and backpacking. The tent itself has received excellent reviews on German outdoor Internet forums as have the dealership (Feuerzelte). They are manufactured in Finish Lapland by a small company.
Of course, it comes without a groundsheet. In my experience of tipis not a problem – just lay some cheap tarps on the ground.

Feurezelte (English; fire tent) also sell tent stoves and various other Scandinavian tipis, stoves and accessories.

This review is just a brief first impression but I do expect great things of my Kultalavvu and I am more than happy to recommend it!

D

DavidW

Anthonyyy,

I'll look forward to hearing further from you about how the Kultalavvu works out in use in different weather conditions.

This site too offers the Kultalavvu but list the weight as 2.7 kg.
http://wiki.outdoorseiten.net/index.php/Kultalavvu

This site offers the Kultalavvu and also gives the weight as 1.3 kg with pole
http://www.advennature.de/html/feuerzelte.html
And also offers an interesting stove called the Fibi-style . Nice looking stove except for the price
http://www.advennature.de/html/fibistove.html

Anyway , Which weight do you think is correct ? Have you weighted it to varify the correct weight ?
From the dimentions I would think 2.7 kg is correct unless the material is extremely light weight and perhaps not real robust.

Thanks ,

David

kalanath

Apr 15, 2007
Shambala UK
Regarding the weight of the kultalavvu The Feuerzelte site says;
1,3 Kg (Zelt), 1,1 Kg (mehrfach teilbare TeleskopMittelstange)
literal internet translation;
1.3 kg (tent), 1.1 kg (several times divisible telescope central seaweeds [ie pole].
I would say that the tent plus the pole is therefore 2.4 kg.

Do note that on their site Feuerzelte offer an optional pole for the kultalavvu they call 'Leichtstange "Tuning" ' (trans.-light bar "Tuning"). This weighs in at 440 grams, just over a third of the standard pole supplied with the tent and costs 23 euros; thus bringing the tent plus pole weight down to 1.74 kg - exceptionally ultra lightweight for what it is!

Feuerzelte also offer other useful accessories such as fire bowls & boxes, hobo stoves tarps etc.

I have lived in trailers, boats as well as in the woods in tents and shelters with my two dogs. Personally I am impressed with the kultalavvu. Considering the light weight, the pack size, the quality (in reviews) and the space it gives - plus it's a cosy fire tent - It seems to be ideal for me and the dogs to wander around with and intend to get one unless I find something better - which is extremely unlikely!

Happy trails

I

O

oilyrag

Anthonyy,

Would you still recomend the kultalavvu? Just asking as this seems to be the lightest lavvu capable of having a fire and ticks all the right boxes, just that reviews are few and far between. Does it have a groundsheet? condensation problem? insect problem? Any further info would be most appreciated.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Anthonyy,

Would you still recomend the kultalavvu? Just asking as this seems to be the lightest lavvu capable of having a fire and ticks all the right boxes, just that reviews are few and far between. Does it have a groundsheet? condensation problem? insect problem? Any further info would be most appreciated.

I still recommend it highly. It is not as cosy as my canvas tipi but much more transportable.
It dosen't have a groundsheet. Personally I dont think it needs one and a small fire should keep the insects away. To be honest I have only used it in in bad weather up to now so I have not had to deal with insects.
I have seen quite a few reviews on German language forums and they have all been positive.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Seems like you got a really good deal at 160 euro! I'm searching the net for a good deal.
Seems like a good alternative for where I can't go hammocking...

don't you have problems burning holes in your sleeping bag?

O

oilyrag

Does anyone know if one of these would be sufficient to keep it toasty inside?

372132573_378fc169bb.jpg

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Does anyone know if one of these would be sufficient to keep it toasty inside?

372132573_378fc169bb.jpg

Now then (apologies for the hijack),
I need to know what that Nimblewill type stove is! (and where you can get one) - it looks great!
If anyone can give me any information, it'd be really appreciated.
cheers
Matt

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
These tipi seem to be a real bargain.
My only observation however...is it a round base or square? The photo's on ebay seem to be of a square base, not saying that there is anything wrong with that other than the wind may affect it more than a round one.

BushFire

May 30, 2007
Cambridgeshire UK
These tipi seem to be a real bargain.
My only observation however...is it a round base or square? The photo's on ebay seem to be of a square base, not saying that there is anything wrong with that other than the wind may affect it more than a round one.

the base is square, i have not had trouble with the wind or heard about others having trouble with the wind either.

O

oilyrag

I finally got a decent price on a brand new Kultalavvu from the German version of eBay. Hope to take it out this weekend. Does anyone have instructions on how to put these things up?

Jan 15, 2005
Slovakia
Sorry that i revive such an old thread, but I was searching for Kultalavvu everywhere with no results. Are they still made? Do you know a good place that offers them? Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE