Laughing at myself...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Just having a chuckle at myself.
Going out wild camping for the first time tomorrow night until Sunday evening in nearby woods. I convinced my brother and sister (in their 40's) and my neice (15) to come too and been umming and ahhing about kit to take, trying to be as minimalist as possible (which is very out of character for me) Been reading guides on here and elsewhere.

Just got it all together, getting rid of all that seemed superfluous, carefully whittled it down to essentials (ish) and filled my rucksack, and found that... it weighs a TON!! Anyway, made me chuckle (best laid plans and all that)

Oh well, the purpose of this little outing was as a learning expereince about whats not needed and what I've missed, so no doubt I'll get rid of a fair bit of weight for when I go further afield. Also hopefully in future the others may take more active roles (might have to try and share bits around the others, though my brother said he couldnt find his rucksack so 'might just use an IKea bag!:rolleyes:)

Anyhoo, wittering on. Its 1 in the morning, I'm up for a full days work at 6.30am, get back home at 7pm then jump in the car to get to where we are parking, then walk into the woods.

CAN'T WAIT!!!! :)

Thanks to all for the advice picked up so far.

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
lol, a ton is fine. You never said how much experience your trip mates have, especially the youngster, I wouldn't worry too much about going with minimal kit, concentrate on making sure you have everything you may need or indeed want, even if it seems a bit oot. Nothing worse than going out and wishing you had something than going out and wishing you had less.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
lol, a ton is fine. You never said how much experience your trip mates have, especially the youngster, I wouldn't worry too much about going with minimal kit, concentrate on making sure you have everything you may need or indeed want, even if it seems a bit oot. Nothing worse than going out and wishing you had something than going out and wishing you had less.

My thoughts exactly.
As to experience. None really, but all have a reasonable amount of the right attitude (i.e. not too precious). Because of lack of experience I wanted the first time to be within retreating distance of my sisters house (don't want to put them off on their first time as I plan to do this with them once a quarter)

Sitting in an office, behind a desk and wistfully imagining failing to light a fire in a light drizzle and loving the thought... :red:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
You have to start somewhere, I'm fairly inexperienced too but every time you go things get easier as you discover the right and wrong ways of doing things.
It becomes more and more enjoyable with each trip, you can read and watch vids about how to do things till your eyes fall out but the only way to really learn is to try (and fail)
Kudos for getting out there and doing it, in the middle of winter too. Enjoy and let us know how you got on :camping:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to find it quite useful to write a list of what I'd packed and then review it when you get back and start removing tat which you didn't use.
All those bits of kit which you "might" need will probably never get used and might as well be left at home.

Have a good trip though, and take some piccies for us :)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
You have to start somewhere, I'm fairly inexperienced too but every time you go things get easier as you discover the right and wrong ways of doing things.
It becomes more and more enjoyable with each trip, you can read and watch vids about how to do things till your eyes fall out but the only way to really learn is to try (and fail)
Kudos for getting out there and doing it, in the middle of winter too. Enjoy and let us know how you got on :camping:

I couldn't have put it better. I'm waiting with baited breath... (Garlic etc., pizza last night).

I'm "kind of" new to this side of things too, (khaki trained is khaki brained), and enjoying the different view/mentality you lot take to this.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one for deciding to get out. The more you do it the more you'll notice 'essentials' that never get touched. In time you'll have your drill down to only what you need and a couple comforts you want to bring. If it's your first time out and you don't have far to go take everything you can carry! Winter camping always adds bulkiness due to extra clothes and food I find, you'll notice a big difference this summer if you keep at it. Enjoy your camp fella!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sitting in an office, behind a desk and wistfully imagining failing to light a fire in a light drizzle and loving the thought... :red:

It feel nice and primitive and challenging for a while, then the reality of lasting the night through, shivering yourself to sleep and waking with no prospect of a fire the next day - that can grind you down and put many newcomers off altogether. Point being - make sure - nay, doubly sure, you are able to make fire and keep yourselves warm during the day and have high confidence in re-lighting the fire in the morning.

Have fun and tell us how it went!

Ogri the trog

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
get a teenager out in it - infect her with the great outdoors virus!

hope the weather is kind and your tinder dry

(I assume half the ton is dried firewood in this weather!) :)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The first night I ever spent outdoors, when I was about 10, i fell asleep in the tent no problems. Cosy and warm...

I woke up near frozen to death, shivering. My dad and grandad had "magicked" the patchwork quilts around them, I only had an old army left.

I broke my way out the canvas tent door at dark o'clock (how I slept through their snoring I'll never know) and stamped around up and down doing "1940's" PT to keep warm.

Once I'd warmed up a bit, I went back in picked up one of the shotguns and went to check the snares... there was nowt else to do.

I came back with ten rabbits (6 to the gun) just as they were starting the fire.

"Morning!!" I chirped. The look on their faces was reward enough. If only they knew...

Quilt robbing bastarts the pair of them, God Bless their souls... :D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I think I'd have been flat on my back after firing a shotgun at 10 years old, good on ya mate.

I never landed on my back, it was only a 410, the butt was under my armpit and I shut my eyes as I slipped the trigger (pulled it, way back then). I'd shot before, but the report still scared me.

I shot high quite a few(??) times, walked for what seemed like ages, and the cartridge bag was heavy at first. I missed loads TBH.

I was small and too young to smell of B.O., I'd been out for ages so by the time dawn arrived I was part of the furniture.

Hunters forget that to us, a wood or a field is just that - a wood or a field.

To the wildlife out there, it's their living room.

It's as bad as a Mammoth appearing in your living room - you'd notice that as out of place!!

I'm 42 now and haven't handled a shotgun since. Not fear, I've just never had the opportunity since.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
The first night I ever spent outdoors, when I was about 10, i fell asleep in the tent no problems. Cosy and warm...

I woke up near frozen to death, shivering. My dad and grandad had "magicked" the patchwork quilts around them
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE