Trip Report Last weekends camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WolfRock83

Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Managed to get out last weekend in a little bit of woodland near me that I have permission to camp in. Had a bit of a disaster getting the fore going but it other than that it was a good night!

Had my first go at making a video as well. Fair few mistakes but it got me used to the editing software etc.

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfRock83

Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Cheers man. I had fun doing it. Good luck finding time to get out there yourself!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That was good, I can’t say I’m too tempted to get out in the hammock at the moment. Did you have anything under you? I didn’t see a mat or anything.

WolfRock83

Dec 27, 2019
Essex
That was good, I can’t say I’m too tempted to get out in the hammock at the moment. Did you have anything under you? I didn’t see a mat or anything.

I was using the Hennessy four season super shelter which is an undercover with a foam pad that fits inbetween the hammock and the undercover so you have a couple of layers for air to get trapped. In really cold temps I would normally use a space blanket inbetween as well. In hindsight I could’ve done with it on this occasion as I woke up chilly a couple of times (was about 5 degrees).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There’s nothing like hammocking to make sure you get the insulation sorted, I’ve been cold in June because I didn’t bother with the mat underneath me. Early Spring, late September and I take the lot. I experimented with a homemade underquilt made from a summer down sleeping bag stretched out and tied in a random sort of fashion beneath me. All was well until the inevitable need to pee. ;)

Apart from nearly separating my big toe from the rest of my foot, I managed to rip the down bag open, collapse to the floor in agony, and get covered in tiny fluffy feathers. Not my finest moment. :D

WolfRock83

Dec 27, 2019
Essex
There’s nothing like hammocking to make sure you get the insulation sorted, I’ve been cold in June because I didn’t bother with the mat underneath me. Early Spring, late September and I take the lot. I experimented with a homemade underquilt made from a summer down sleeping bag stretched out and tied in a random sort of fashion beneath me. All was well until the inevitable need to pee. ;)

Apart from nearly separating my big toe from the rest of my foot, I managed to rip the down bag open, collapse to the floor in agony, and get covered in tiny fluffy feathers. Not my finest moment. :D

Haha! I would’ve liked to have seen that.

My finest hour was exiting the hammock for the inevitable pee and finding I was sitting to far down towards the foot end when I opened the Velcro on the bottom entry so basically I just opened up a hole directly beneath me and dropped straight out of the hammock onto my backside on the floor below.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pics ... ?

:biggrin:

Prior, yes. At the time, no. A recording of my language would see me offed from the forum. See my bag, it was an old Vargo I think, plenty of flop in space for the hammock to sink into I thought I’d pulled a master stroke of design. See also in the pic a small Birch? See also there’s some old Rose in that Birch? Doesn’t look it, but it’s very downhill, and that’s exactly what I staggered into in my bare feet before widdling on my leg.

5-B783-D50-B6-A5-4-F60-B20-D-CA0-E3-A2-D0997.jpg

I know the pic looks a bit Glasto decamp, but it’s left tidy, the trees have damage from previous idiots over many years.

Couple more, if for no other reason to inspire more nights out.

EFAC4-E4-B-830-A-4-B61-BB91-F96-AEDCC5-A3-B.jpg

74-B84-E85-64-BB-4-D50-A4-FE-4442-D64-C353-E.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Those stories made me laugh out loud. Not funny at the time tho! Disaster stories are always good to recall around another campfire later in life when dignity has been regained and the pain receded into distant memory.
I have only got one getting out of my hammock for a pee story.
It was pitch black and hammering down with rain. Decided to visit the proper loo as I could see the lights not far away and felt fine to dash without a torch or headlamp.
On the return journey I was now night blind and had no guiding light left on in the hammock or a torch.
The coyote brown hammock had dissopeared into the nothingness of dark woodland.
It took me nearly 20 cold dark and very wet minutes to find it again! :(
Even tho it means getting out to use it (being of the fairer sex), I now have a wide mouth pee bottle so I don't have to move from under the tarp for midnight relief. Lesson learned! Leave a small light on somewhere near the hammock so that any midnight wanderings are guided home! I now always have a luminous stick.. you know the ones you snap to make glow. So my home is always findable if you dont have a pee bottle and the fire has gone out and you need the portaloo!

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Haha! I would’ve liked to have seen that.

My finest hour was exiting the hammock for the inevitable pee and finding I was sitting to far down towards the foot end when I opened the Velcro on the bottom entry so basically I just opened up a hole directly beneath me and dropped straight out of the hammock onto my backside on the floor below.

A carefully positioned bucket and I’m starting to get where Hennessy were going with the original design. :wink:

@Woody girl, hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing. One day I’ll tell you the day after Boxing Day tale of a Jack Russell and a 12ltr tub of paint. It’s a good one :)

Due to the amount of beer drunk, my attempted repairs weren’t really passing QC, I built the fire up with all those big Beech logs, and took my chances lying next to it in my bag. It wasn’t too bad, I was onto cooking fried chorizo and an egg for breakfast at first light and once the sun had warmed things I retired to the hammock for a couple of hours of sound sleep. :)

To stay at least a bit true to topic, that hammock was a Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock from his company Mosquito Hammock. It’s hung on that Thuja with climbers tape loops and single, lightweight carabiners. The bug nets are nice and roomy on the Claytors, a spreader stick can be inserted each end to make a sort of box shape. The hammocks are nice and long too, and the diamond fly (not in pic, that’s a DD) is really long. Kept off six hours of rain one day we were up there.

Edit: Ah, here’s the diamond fly and Jungle hammock, and my Ventile as I knew we’d have rain.

BE4138-B6-14-F0-4-BE2-BC29-F75-F563582-DD.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hammocks provide a lot of disaster stories!
There is of course the..... getting in one side and immediately exiting the other...... I've seen that happen more than once.! Why it was always blamed on the beer I've no idea!
Of course with a bottom entry hennessy that can't happen, but lending it to a friend I was trying to introduce to hammocking, the siren wail sounded in the dark 2 am. .. How the sweet puppy do I get out of this thing!!!!!!!
Then there was the early dawn I awoke with very cold feet. I use my down bag like a quilt and somehow my feet had found the bottom exit while i slept and exited the hammock and we're dangling outside from the knees down! Oops!
That doesn't happen with the dd.
I still can't make up my mind which one I prefer.
Ive been planning my spring hammock camp this weekend. Hopefully the new forest this time.
I have finaly got a permission on 70 acres of woodland with a fire allowed! Yay!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hammocks provide a lot of disaster stories!
There is of course the..... getting in one side and immediately exiting the other...... I've seen that happen more than once.! Why it was always blamed on the beer I've no idea!
Of course with a bottom entry hennessy that can't happen, but lending it to a friend I was trying to introduce to hammocking, the siren wail sounded in the dark 2 am. .. How the sweet puppy do I get out of this thing!!!!!!!
Then there was the early dawn I awoke with very cold feet. I use my down bag like a quilt and somehow my feet had found the bottom exit while i slept and exited the hammock and we're dangling outside from the knees down! Oops!
That doesn't happen with the dd.
I still can't make up my mind which one I prefer.
Ive been planning my spring hammock camp this weekend. Hopefully the new forest this time.
I have finaly got a permission on 70 acres of woodland with a fire allowed! Yay!

Quite. This is Dave, one of the blokes by the fire in the other pic. This time we were at a meet-up at Bardsters in Kent. Knots aren’t Dave’s strongpoint :D

To keep on topic, Dave’s hammock was suspended to pretty much naff all, by naff all. But he did have a sleep mat. :)

4030-E7-CE-F5-DD-4138-A5-D2-5-CFE927-E4-DA0.jpg

Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE