large tin cans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
Hi

Random question, where can I get a few large tin can's like baked bean tins but larger diameter. Does netto or somewhere sell them I want to use them as a cheaper alternative to billy cans

Tim

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cash and carry spots sell the catering size cans of beans, sweetcorn & coffee etc.
Some of the bargain stores have odd bits in aswell if ever you're passing.

EDIT:

Just remembered that I've got a 1.3kg coffee tin which is about 8" high and 6.5" diameter, you're welcome to have it if you cover the postage.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi

Random question, where can I get a few large tin can's like baked bean tins but larger diameter. Does netto or somewhere sell them I want to use them as a cheaper alternative to billy cans

Tim

Turkish or Chinese markets if there are any down you way, canned aubergines from Turkey or Syria come in quite a large robust can :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Keep your eye on recycling boxes
cut out the middle man
I got a Coffee tin from one the other week
Also cafes and chip shops often chuck out the catering size tins
Probably worth asking next time you buy something in your local chippy
Do check the inside for coatings though
I find once you start looking you see them in the most unlikely of places

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
catering baked bean tins - some asdas have a catering bit where you might find giant tins of chilli.

mine came out the kitchen last scout camp as they'd been to the cash and carry.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
There's been some discussion on here about the plastic coating on the inside of tin cans such apparently can be quite toxic if heated. Would need to be removed somehow.

Not all cans have a plastic lining. I have a few large cans (ex tomato and ex tuna) and neither have plastic inners.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Do you have kids in school? - if so their kitchen is likely to throw loads out;)

Togger

Dec 16, 2007
Derbyshire
A mate of mine works at a local hospital, we wanted some for making hobo stoves for the scouts so he just went and asked the kitchen staff, there were loads out near the bins from tomatoes etc.
Most places that do catering will have plenty that they throw away, try local pubs, restaurants etc.

The food is cooked in the tin. I would be surprised if that was the case.

Stephen

The food is cooked in the tin at a fairly low temperature. The problem would only become serious when you put the can directly on an open fire and the plastic is approaching it's melting point.
Not all tin cans have this lining, but worth checking as "epoxy resins containing bisphenol A are used as coatings on the inside of almost all food and beverage cans". See Wiki.P..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Anyway, it's not like anyone would eat out of them day in day out, and should be some way of removing it.
Personally I'll just stick to my SS billys.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
A lot of products are not cooked in the cans but in large vats then either pumped or gravity fed into the canning carousel whilst still hot, In the plant I was maintenance on the food went into the cans between 82c and 88c to ensure when the lid was formed on any airbourn bugs were killed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE