Large Rhodedendron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
A local landowner has given me permission to camp in his woods, this Rhododendron is very large and I've put my hat there for scale. The land used to be gardens to the manor of the village and The Lord of the manor was known for planting trees and landscaping, I would be interested in someone giving an approximate age to this plant as other woods I have been in the Rhododendron are no where near this size.
The woods is overgrown, it's taken a while to find a suitable place with enough area to put a couple of hammocks and tarps.
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a limited permission on a wild garden at High Glanau Manor, a very famous garden which was extremely well documented during it's construction and planting. It was designed and built by H. Avray Tipping in the
period leading up to the first world war, and one of his big passions was for Rhodies...............from what I can see of the scale in your photo, I would think that they are not far apart in age. I'm no expert and this is based purely on my observation of this one garden.

Just wait a few weeks 'till it flowers, they are spectacular when they get to this size!..............................atb mac

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The heart of the high patch that we cleared last year looked like that and was about 50 year old. Those were Ponticum though which are fast growing.
At Brodick Castle there's a Rhodie collection about ages with the one Macaroon described including a couple of monsters like those so I'd agree that they could be 100 year old. Depends on the strain, some Rhodies never get that big no matter how long their given, others can grow up pretty quick.
Don't know much about the different types. The ones in Brodick that are yon size have red flowers(touch of a purple fringe but mostly a rich red) and kind of chestnut shaped leaves.

I hope Grooveski doesn't see this
lol, you were expecting me to just suggest running a saw through them and counting the rings weren't you? :p

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh Boy, I hate Rhodedendrons. Spent years of my life trying to eradicate the things. Those are biggies and must be 40plus years, though it can grow really fast if it's the right pland in the right area. Does make very good fire wood though, burns hot and clean, we used to use it in the wood burning aga on the farm. But would still like it eradicated from the UK.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had one that needed shifting at the new house and it took two fit fella's to shift it! Thats a big bugger there, dwarfs the one I had.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Thanks for the replies, this is just of the big ones, unfortunately I doubt I will get to see this one flower as the business end is the other side of a really long boggy bit I haven't found an easy way round yet. Probably why it's grown so well due to it having a constant water supply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE