Lard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
Ha-ha, they also said the cowboy was a fine healthy example for a brand of cigarette's at one time, to much fats of any kind cant be good....

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Nothing is bad for you in moderation.
I remember reading that penicillin was deadly for hamsters,it is ,But only if taken by the tonne.Much the same with lard,a little does no harm but a couple of pound a week may be bad for you.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Its butter every time for me. I heard that hydrogenated vegetable oil (margarine) was bad for you years ago and use butter for most things.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
happyLARD.jpg

lardbar.jpg

I'm quite partial to a pork dripping and salt sandwich from time to time

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
If you've ever eaten fried pig meat that contains fat (pork chops, bacon etc.) you've eaten lard; it's also known as bacon grease and for a very good reason.

As I recall it has lower saturated fat than butter per gram, and no trans fats...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you've ever eaten fried pig meat that contains fat (pork chops, bacon etc.) you've eaten lard; it's also known as bacon grease and for a very good reason.

As I recall it has lower saturated fat than butter per gram, and no trans fats...

Thats about right and moderation is right also. I love using olive oil but it can overpower some dishes and will use another oil. Lard has its place in cooking (as does beef and goose fat), chips or eggs for instance are superb cooked in lard, just don't eat them everyday and you will be fine. Butter is wonderful for some cooking, I can't think of anything better tasting than a cheese, jam or ham sandwich using butter as the spread, or single cream and butter mashed into spuds which makes the best potatoes ever.

We are supposed to be living in a world of an ever expanding pick of ingredients when in fact we are limiting ourselves in the very basics of what makes a great dish. As much as I enjoy the new 'super' chefs on TV when you look at what they actually make they really are no more than upmarket fast food cooks.

Microwave ovens and ready meals may well kill more people in this food enlightened society than a plate of chips cooked in lard or beef dripping every did.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Its butter every time for me. I heard that hydrogenated vegetable oil (margarine) was bad for you years ago and use butter for most things.

You know what really put me off margarine? When I realised the farm rats would rather eat soap.

xylaria

I think it was supersize-me where people that live off MaccyDs were interviewed. The only one that was normal size and had normal range blood fats was a guy that never ate the fries. I worked in McDs to get some extra money a few years ago, the chip friers are loaded with the substance called Mcdonalds trademark shortening. It is white thick slimy liquid substance that smells like stale flour and looks like an unmentionable substance. The shortening is vegatable oil that has being processed. We have eaten animal fats and unprocessed veg oils since the year dot, we can digest them and break them down. In last 50 years we have come up with these new fats I am not suprised they clogging us up.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Nothing is bad for you in moderation.
I remember reading that penicillin was deadly for hamsters,it is ,But only if taken by the tonne.Much the same with lard,a little does no harm but a couple of pound a week may be bad for you.

Well penicillin is bad for me even in moderation. I am allergic to it :D
But you cannot beat a bit of pork or beef dripping on freshly toasted wholemeal toast :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE