Lanyards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
OK - daft question time - why do some knives and axes have lanyard holes? To hang up? To secure around your wrist?
N

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I loop the lanyard on my U1 around my belt before putting the knife into its sheath. Why? It was so Bl***y expensive that i can't afford to lose it!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The hole on an axe handle is to put a loop on to hang it up.
Its just plain dangerous to put a lanyard on it and then loop it around your wrist.
I use a short lanyard on my knife so i can pull it out of its sheath easier.:)

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
If you have a hatchet-sized axe on a lanyard around your wrist it puts you in considerable danger.

Good axe practice means that you will have checked ahead of you in case you lose your grip. If you lose your grip with it around your wrist it is going to swing towards your thigh, groin or abdomen. Not good!

I have read that if you are cutting through ice you should use a lanyard as it stops an axe disappearing under the water when it slips from your wet frozen hands. Any other time it's a bad idea.

Cheers,
Steve

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As others have said - the lanyard on an axe is so you can hang it up. If you have the lanyard around your wrist and it slips from your hand then the axe is going only one way - back to you! Without the lanyard it flies off safely (well, relatively so).
The lanyard on a knife is different. It can be for whatever you want - to hang it up, to stop it falling, to make it easier to retrieve from the sheath. Whatever.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Lanyard on my knife is to aid in removal from the sheath, as I found it tricky without!

First time I've used one though!

Drew

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
there are some situations where having a knife on a lanyard around your wrist is a good thing - slippy environment etc.

don't use a lanyard on anything other than my keys these days as it makes them a lot easier to get hold of in your pocket! :D

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE