Lansky sharpener?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Anyone know where the cheapest place to get a Lasky Sharpening system is?
Anyone got one they want to sell? ;)

It's Lansky, not Lasky, ao if you search for that you might have better luck. They do several. I have this one:

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKCPR.php

and I've used it very little. I bought it direct from Lansky at the recommendation of SOG's technical department, to sharpen a particular SOG product. The technical department apparently didn't realize that the Lansky products can't sharpen that particular SOG product because they can't reach the required edge angle, so I wasted my money. To be honest I think they're overpriced. I prefer to sharpen by hand. Obviously it takes a bit of practice but it's a useful skill to, er, hone. If you want a flat edge at exactly the angle that the Lansky tools will provide then that's fine, get one. I'd cheerfully sell you mine but it's packed in a box somewhere a thousand miles away and I don't know (nor do I care) if I'll ever see it again.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you do let me know. I seemed to have missed the n in the title but not the body. :nono:
I usually sharpen by hand ;) but have nearly been convinced that when making a new one (as I often seem too) a Lansky seems to get the sharpening bevel a little better but until I've tried one I'll not know. Thats why I'm looking for either a second hand one, or if anyone knows where they may be on offer at the mo.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
to be honest the lansky was one of the worst sharpening systems that I've ever owned. It does hold the angle reasonably well, as long as that angle is one that you want and your blade is only 2" long and you can get it to hold the blade stable enough and don't mind it getting scratched, oh and don't mind spending ages working at it coz the stone is so small.

If you are going to go for a sharpening jig system then the Edge Pro is the one to get. They are not cheap (especially the Pro version) but they are MUCH better all around!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... lansky ... does hold the angle reasonably well, as long as that angle is one that you want and your blade is only 2" long and ...

Glad to have my opinion confirmed by a professional. :)

If you are going to go for a sharpening jig system then the Edge Pro is the one to get. They are not cheap ...

Heck, they ARE expensive! Are they sold in the UK? There's a website at

http://www.edgepro.co.uk/

but all the Edge Pro kits on there are "out of stock, accepting back orders, normally stocked" which I have a hard time believing. Coupled with the "scam alert" on the USA site it makes me wonder.

Agree with Dave ...

Do you sell them Lurch? Don't get excited, I don't think I could justify the cost, but I wouldn't mind seeing one if there's one to look at.

Kev, why not experiment with something? To hold the blade at the required angle you could get a tilt and swivel vice something like this one (although I'd probably prefer something that screws down rather than using a vacuum):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48769&C=SO&U=strat15

and mount a stone on a long bit of wood that can rest on a box or something behind the vice. You'd need a schoolkid's 20 pence protractor to measure the angle and probably need a bit of ingenuity to get everything to fit but you'd save quite a bit on these sharpening kits.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the edge pros are really really good. I have the Pro model (got it years ago) and was one of the first to come into the UK courtesy of an american-run outdoors supplier who may not still be trading (he kept upsetting people in the knife& bushcraft worlds). On the plus sides for them they are very easy to use, extremely accurate (which is more than half way to being able to get a good edge), infinitely adjustable with angles and grits, with some modification can also do serrated and convex blades, has jigs to do chisels/planes/scissors, etc. On the down side there is obviously the high price (the pro models are individually handmade, but I think the Apex is small production runs), the small and expensive stones (the waterstones are only 5mm thick so wear fast) and the stones are hard to find in the UK (though you can improvise ;) )

But, as suggested, there is a way of building your own ;) try searching on BB for sharpening jigs and edgepro type systems. I seem to remember somebody built one that was a billed a s"edgepro on steroids" and was homemade. If you are feeling creative andf have rudimentary wood or metal working skills, the edgepro Pro is a doddle to make. I've been thinking of making one to hold larger stones, but haven't got around to it yet :rolleyes:

I soon realised that the stones were too pricey and too short lived, so I don't often use it these days. Instead I just learnt to sharpen freehand on stones as accurately as I possibly could. Now I can get my edges almost as uniform as the edgepro (when I'm concentrating that is) and it's faster and much cheaper.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have the lansky, i got it from someone 2ndhand on bcl, i get on with it ok but then i brought it to get my bevel right, i woldnt buy one full price though but its a reasonable bit of kit, the stones are a bit small though and it is limited in the length of knife it can accomodate

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I tried the lansky and got a diamond set for a good price in the US. I did not get on well with it despite trying very hard I found that the sharpening was not uniform on the blade. I have tried to learn how to hand sharpen but have messed up a blade or 2 so have given up. I bought the spyderco system from Lurch and find it a far better system although it is equally expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE