lands end to john o groats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
some of you may remember purple heath said she wanted to walk from lands end to john o groats,well she also said anyone want to come so of course i said yes.
We start on the 6th august very soon lol purple heath is going to be spending the first couple of days jet lagged :lmao: we plan on walking 20 miles a day stopping for repairs and should be finished in october, just thought you would all like to know,
oh my girlfriend isnt to keen on me going but understands

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well done for getting out and doing stuff - the first few days will be the worst and then you should get into a routine.

I guess you got all the maps you needed in the end?

Keep us posted with your progress and maybe we'll be able to see you en route!

ODG

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Good luck to you. I did it on my ownsome in 2003 and it was a truly great experience. However, 20 miles a day is quite some target and, whilst I hope you manage it, I think that you may be being somewhat ambitious in that respect. Be under no illusions: this will bugger both kit and body at some point, regardless of your fitness or the quality and cost of your kit. If you really intend to maintain that pace over 3 months, you'll need to be travelling really, really light IMHO, so there is minimal strain on back, knees and every other muscle and bone in your bods.

I don't want to wazz on your fire for one second as it's a great life experience; but you should enjoy it for the journey's sake and the feel of the changing landscape under your feet as much as for getting your heads down to the footpath and making your 20 miles every day so you reach the end in your allotted time.

I'd be interested in seeing your proposed route plan and/or a proposed kit list, if you can want to share it and have a spare mo so close to kicking off. Perhaps those of us who have done something similar could share some of our own experiences?

Safari mzuri.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Pending PM for you - text says you have a full in box ( not sure if just a tech glitch ).

Per my note to PH - happy to help out if you need anything North of the border.

Good luck.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good luck to PH and WW, if there`s anything you need in the north let me know.

Even if it`s just a can of Red Bull or two.

By the way my misses does a great foot massage

My brother did the route on two wheels a few years ago and couldn`t sit down for a week from saddle sores.

Have a great time, if it all turns a bit sour, National Express have got some good deals on at the mo. :D

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
Well I got a reply sooner then I was expecting. The walk didn’t go to plan at all but it dose sound like they had a bit of an adventure. I think WW or PH will login sooner or later and let you all know how they got on.

Geo.

Hope they post, it'll be interesting to hear how they are getting on, particularly the route they've taken.
I finished a solo LE to JoG last July. (73 days)
Think the most enjoyable bits were parts of Wales, the Pennine Way and parts of the Highlands - bit too populated further south!

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
Thank you, to everyone who has posted with lots of encourgement for our walk. I have only just found this thread otherwise i would have posted sooner.
unfortunately, after a hard desicion i decided that i should not continue with the walk for personal reasons. i am disappointed that woods wanderer and i did not achive our goal, but i am sure that i will be able to try again, when the time is right. i have learned a lot from my experince and i think that the next time i will try i will complete what i started.

thank you all for the support
PH

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Don't get too down PurpleHeath, we all start things and can't complete them due to unforseen circumstances sometimes. The walk will be there waiting for you another day. I hope things go well for you whatever upset the apple cart.
I started a walk of the Thames path some years ago. I was going to do the whole shebang from the source at Kemble to the Thames barrier. 184 miles but blisters, horse flies (bitten to *uggery) and rubbish kit got the better of me, oh and it peed down for 3 days solid. So I had to quit. I'd told the world about it and was doing it for charity so was a bit gutted when I couldn't finish it. The blisters on my heels were just too much (cheap boots and cheap walking socks) I learnt a lot of lessons that trip so I feel it WAS worthwhile because it gave me something money can't buy ...........Taught me lessons and gave me experience in the form of not what to do next time...............I know a lot more now :D There's no disgrace in being humble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE