Lamp priming question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello!

Having just acquired my first Vapalux, what's the best method for getting meths onto the priming wick?

Thanks for reading

AJB

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Does it not have the tray for pouring meths into, and the lifter to put the flame up near the vaporiser? If not, then get one, I've seen a few without this and they're much harder to light.

Empty Zippo fluid tin with meths in will work, but it's not that efficient.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies.

Nice, nothing moves that I'm aware of, it was a bit tricky to get the wick wet without flooding the rest of the lamp.

Rik, I'm not sure I want an enema bottle on my credit history :) I've been looking at that very fuel bottle. Can you store meths in them, ie, is the nozzle "water" tight?

Cheers,

AJB

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Get a valvespout oiler bottle :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3108...ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=101

Absolutely perfect for the job, as the valve in the tip renders the bottle completely leak proof, regardless of how the bottle is stored, and the length of the spout makes it easy to reach the cup. All I do is open the valve, lift the glass very slightly and poke the tip of the spout into the brass spirit cup. It's then a simple matter to squeeze the bottle till you've filled the cup. Then light the meths and away you go.

not exactly cheap but they really are the ideal tool for the job.

Cheers

Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for the replies.

Nice, nothing moves that I'm aware of, it was a bit tricky to get the wick wet without flooding the rest of the lamp.

Rik, I'm not sure I want an enema bottle on my credit history :) I've been looking at that very fuel bottle. Can you store meths in them, ie, is the nozzle "water" tight?

Cheers,

AJB

Its much the same as the one linked by badger, I've not used one for years but it was fine with no leaks. The enema bottles were unused I must add and were in fact out of date and due for the bin so I rescued them and gave a few away. I never expected them to last so long to be honest.

I doubt your statement would list 'Enema' bottle lol.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I use a syringe, without the needle. My friend who's a nurse gave it to me - unused of course. I carry meths for cooking in a separate bottle, and the syringe is dipped in filled. Does a very clean job, and weighs next to nothing. Because it's being squirted out, you can make sure the wicking material is well soaked too.

They can be got cheaply on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-med...plies_Disposables_ET&var=&hash=item3cd58ce250

Last edited:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I think that's the answer Badger, thank you.

Nohoval, I tried a syringe but the meths seemed to dissolve the seal on the piston, causing it to stick (and become sticky), so by the time you had enough pressure on the plunger to get it to move, it shot a jet of meths about 10 feet across the garden!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Nohoval, I tried a syringe but the meths seemed to dissolve the seal on the piston, causing it to stick (and become sticky), so by the time you had enough pressure on the plunger to get it to move, it shot a jet of meths about 10 feet across the garden!

:lmao: Comical image, but not a problem I've ever had! Oh well, there's many ways to skin a cat...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think that's the answer Badger, thank you.

I have used the same nitro fuel bottle for six years now

This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitro-Fue...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3a83f090b0

I find it best to get a good "hook" at the top of the bottle - makes the primer cup easier to fill

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Meant to take a pic of mine today, but found this image. Mine has this "push up" meths tray.

image_zpse94b9e32.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have a vapalux and just use a tilley lamp pre-heater torch to light the lamp because it just pushes on and off (google tilley lamp pre-heater torch)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use a syringe, without the needle. My friend who's a nurse gave it to me - unused of course. I carry meths for cooking in a separate bottle, and the syringe is dipped in filled. Does a very clean job, and weighs next to nothing. Because it's being squirted out, you can make sure the wicking material is well soaked too.

They can be got cheaply on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-med...plies_Disposables_ET&var=&hash=item3cd58ce250

I do the same, no mess.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE