Lakes Weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just had a great weekend up in the lakes with Jacko1066.

Picked Steve up from the station and headed up to Thirlmere. First stop was a pub for tea then on to Bridge End Farm where we'd been promised trees to hang our hammocks. It was close to a 45 degree slope but we found some trees that suited

A quick brew on the honey stove and we turned in for the night

Friday morning we were up early and left camp at 8am. We decided to do Cat Bells, it was cloudy on the way up but the sun was already breaking through

Steve enjoying a scramble early on

Looking down from the rocks

A few views from the top. Causey Pike

Looking over to Maiden Moor

Robinson and Hindscarth

Back to Bassenthwaite

Over Derwent

watching me watching you

Steve's first mountain summit

Steve coming Down

They tried to beam him up

It was a cracking walk and the weather was wonderful. We headed back to camp and spent the afternoon chilling in the sun. Cat Bells is a great mountain and offers a good mix of steep sections, scrambling and a ridge walk. Its a busy mountain but we left early and enjoyed a quiet time.

Saturday we opted for a lowland walk which left from where we were camped. It was around 6 miles and cut a path around High Rigg

Another stunning day with light winds we set off at 10am after a leisurely breakfast.

One of the local beefy boys

cant beat a good log pile

A river runs through it

We managed to get ourselves on the wrong side of a wall so a quick bimble up some rocks put us right

Great brew stop at the foot of Shawbank Crag

There were some good ramps later in the day

We rewarded ourselves with a pub tea and a pint then chilled out once more before turning in early. Despite using a campsite our position up a slope out of the way in the trees was very secluded and id go there again. We shared our camp with friendly fox but didnt manage and pics.

Cant wait to get up there again

resnikov

Looks like you had a good time, so great pictures there.

I do like Cat Bells, took my daughters up there a few years ago. Eva turned 3 the day after we did it. (Ok she didn't quite make the summit, it was way too windy but we were very close. Other daughter (5), my dad and myself reached the top, my wife stayed with Eva just below)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Great report and pics, i really must take time to give my photos headings! Beautiful scenery so different to Dartmoor.

Nice one boys.

Ivan...

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Glad you had a good weekend. Did you camp above the static caravans or at the the other end towards Thirlmere?

The Thirlmere end mate. The trees were a little skinny and the ground had a good slope on it but we were fine. I did find a nice flat bit further up the hill but the trees were less than ideal. Still, we could have been in the wilds once in there so it was a good recommendation :)

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
I've stayed at that campsite in february, the showers and toilets were all frozen ( I was in a nice warm caravan ;) though)

It's a great place, nice and quiet, and a good location. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Good trip report btw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE