Lake District wild camping - advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I might have the chance for a few nights wild camping in the Lakes in August. Ideally I'd like to camp close to tarns and do some wild trout fishing. I havent' got a lot of cash but I already have a 3 seasons sleeping bag, big rucksack, petrol cooker. Could I get away with a Karrimat and tarp with poles for sleeping? Any other advice gratefully received.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Do you mean minus sleeping bag?

Difficult to advise on this as people sleep differently, and the weather may have a cold snap.

If you really don't want to take a sleeping bag, why not take a blanket instead - it may mean the difference between a comfortable night and a night with onlt fitful sleep.

Tarp and poles make a fine shelter, but practice at home with different configuarations, when you get to your spot shoose the best set up for that location.

HTH

Simon

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'd say at least a bivvi with your tarp, the weather can turn from bright and sunny to torrential in minutes up in the lakes and a bivvi will seriously keep you sealed from the elements!
add to that your sleeping bag/blanket and you can have a more comfortable night then just under a tarp.
plus you've got the advantage of zipping up a bivvi so the midges can't get you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE