Lake District: maps, route? (last minute)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hi everyone,

Some friends and myself had planned to go to the Vosges in France tomorrow for a 5 day hiking trip, but it's a bit too cold out there right now (our sleeping bags are rated to -10°C, they expect -15) so we thought we'd go to the Ardennes instead, but yesterday the forecast totally changed and expected minima are now -17°C out there... So we looked further and concluded the only place warm enough within a 1000km range is England (even hilly south of France is colder).

The Lake District National Park looks nice for a 5 day hike, but we need some help. We'll be coming to England by boat (Dover) and driving to the park by car, probably arriving around 5pm. Does anyone know where we can buy hiking maps tomorrow evening or along the route from Dover to the park?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for nice hiking routes in the Lake District? We'll arrive Monday evening and leave Friday morning so have 3 full days for hiking. We prefer wild camping (we're very respectful for nature and other people, so don't worry about that).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lasse

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you stop at Tebay services on the Northbound M6 (Around Junction 38?) you should find the relevant maps there, possibly even some walking guidebooks. You'll probably pay a premium though as motorway services are notoriously expensive.

Failing that, you could try somewhere in Kendal on the way up, or Bowness/Windermere if you can get there before the shops close around 5-5:30pm.

I'm not sure about recommended walks etc, as I'm not a regular walker to the lakes (I prefer Snowdonia). I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise though. All the best.

Jan 31, 2012
South Manchester
There are lots and lots and lots of outdoor shops all over the lake district, try Ambleside, kendal, keswick, Grassmere, they are all full of them!!! all top prices but convenient...you can get maps no problem, you need OS 25:000 map or Harvey mountain map, ask staff in the outdoor shops, they are all pretty knowledgeable about the area and more than happy to give advice on were (and were not) to go...lots of guide books available as well but ask advice from staff as some are really good and some really bad.... There are so many excellent routes it depends on what you like and you ability, classic routes like Helvellyn and Striding edge are great if your experienced and the weather is ok (it will be wet...its always wet) other like the Fairfield horseshoe or Scarfell are fabulous classic routes which optimise the lake district landscape but which can be very busy with hordes of people tramping round in groups. if you want somewhere a bit quieter head away from the central fells to the Western or Souther fells which are a bit less popular. wild camping should be ok if you pitch late and leave early, try to camp well out of site away from paths and above the enclosed field walls, Water shouldn't be a problem, it will be raining, it always rains. I truly love the lake district, spent most of my youth there and go back whenever I can, it does get full of tourists these days with too many coaches and cars but this time of year it should be fairly quite, hope you have a great time, remember to check the weather forcast, you can get all the info online ite http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/lakedistrict/lakedistrict_latest_pressure.html Weather in the Lake district can be pretty nasty and very unpredictable..... personal recommendation would be Wasdale Head, not wild camping but very basic, there is a National Trust campsite there open all year, its lovely area with stunning views and some of the best walking in the lake district see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/camping/camping-in-the-lake-district/wasdale/ wasdale.jpg

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks a lot Silverhill and Wulfgar! :)
Unfortunately the news that reached Belgium today about horrible traffic conditions due to snow in England made my companions prefer yet other plans... But after doing the initial research and reading your posts, the Lake District is on my to do list so will have to check out when I have the chance!

Cheers!
Lasse

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't under estimate the dangers of winter walking in the Lake District Lasse, please carry full winter gear if you're planning to be on the summits much.

We've just had a big dump of snow this weekend so paths will be less obvious in places, with a very good chance of hidden cornices and over hangs on some ridge routes, there's also fog forecast which combined with snow can be tricky to navigate. We're also getting bright sunny intervals for the rest of the week, there will be ice forming overnight on melted areas.

Let somebody know your route too if you head out in unknown territory, these guys would be most grateful ...

http://www.ldsamra.org.uk/

EDIT:
Just noticed your last post :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the good advice anyway, Shewie! Will think about it when I do get out there some other time...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got stuck in the snow a bit saturday coming back from Grasmere. An afternoon's walk followed by a goodbye pint at Tweedies bar. Watching the snow get heavier out the window only got "oooh! Isn't that nice" comments from our group. None of use thought there would issues with driving home. It wasn't that bad just take it slow (about 30mph on the better, straight sections and drop to 10-15mph on the steeper sections like from Windermere heading south and the Kendal bypass section. It is melting fast BTW so I think if you are heading up next week it would be ok. Oops! Too late.

BTW Lasse, if you do decide to come up here then you can get maps from any of the petrol stations on the main roads throughout the park. They will be at the full SRRP though. Shops sometimes sell cheaper and on certain days Keswick market has a cheap map stall. It also does walking guides. Also Ordnance Survey sells direct IIRC and there was a multi-buy deal for their maps last year. Not sure now but it was relatively easy to get. However if you are overseas perhaps get them to deliver to first night if you are staying somewhere like a hostel or B&B or hotel for the first night. This is just an idea if you do decide to come to the Lakes sometime.

For a few day trips there are so many. The whole area is relatively small and it is quite easy to sort a route out once you have the maps. Some just become obvious due to the shape of the land. A good two dayer perhaps is the Ennerdale Horseshoe, only 23 miles but you can add bits on to it. Or start from a free carpark on the opposite side of the Langdales valley road from Elterwater and walk round to the Langdales and beyond. 5 Days would make a cracking walking break in the Lakes. There are a few challenge routes or fell running routes that would make a good backpack. There is one called the Charnley Way. it is a 3 dayer if walked going into Eskdale, Langdales and Borrowdale IIRC. Or google the Bob Graham Round. IT is a 24 hour challenge route taking in 72 miles and something like 47 hills. It makes a hard 3 dayer, slightly easier 4 dayer or a pretty good 5 dayer I think. Plus Harveys Maps do a special map for it on weather / water resistant paper. I reckon as a 5 day trip even this time of year it would be good. I'll be doing it one year.

This is all info for when you can make it up here Lasse, I hope you had a good trip wherever you went in the end.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for all the info, Paul! Highly appreciated. I sure hope to get out there in the not too distant future.
Last 5 days we spent in the Ardennes, sleeping inside a chalet instead of inside tents (well, one night under the sky), since that was the only nice hilly region we could reach according to the snowy forecast... Wasn't the same, but still great :)

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
You may be able to improve your journey by getting a ferry to Hull instead of Dover. You would have more time on the boat and less in the car but the main thing is that it is north of the M25, Europe's biggest car park, it's worse than the Brussles ring-road.

Wainwright is the don of the lakes, you may want to see if you can pick up some of his books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Wainwright

http://www.wainwright.org.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE