Ladies' trouser advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
As she knows what a fund of collective wisdom exists on this site, I have been delegated to seek advice on winter/cold weather trousers to fit small wife! She doesn't like wearing longjohns or overtrousers which would be my solution.

Criteria:-
To fit size 8 or children's size to fit 80 year old
Not look too expedition or ski slopy, but suitable to pass as "round town" as well as travel use. .ie. must be multi functional.
Easy to wash while travelling
Dark colour
Cheap (she didn't specify this, but what can she expect if she asks me to post!)
Available from outlet so they can be tried on. (she did this at Go Outdoors yesterday but they had nothing small enough) We are in reach of Cotswold, Mountain Warehouse, Decathlon and Go Outdoors.

Any thoughts, ideas or solutions gratefully accepted for this annually recurring topic in our household.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not exactly outdoor camping gear but warm thermal trousers size 8 are available from damart mail order. They are fairly cheap and styled for the older lady and suitable for round town. Basically cotton, with elastic waist and fleece lining. Don't know if it's what you are looking for. But worth a gander.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would have recommend looking at flannel lined ones from makers such as Dickies, or Carhart (yes they also make ladies’ clothing) but I don’t know if either of them are carried in your local shops. Might be worth looking them up online to see if their website has a link to local sellers?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 Damart.
They're comfortable, they're 'smart/casual' and they're available online too.
The other place is Bon Marché. You'd really need to trawl round the store, but they do have heavier weight trousers that are still comfortable and town smart. My tiny wee auntie loved them, they come in really short lengths too. 25", etc.,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit I don't the bumpfling of the waistline of craghoppers. When you're little it's all rather unflattering. Looks fine on taller slender ladies though.

I use craghoppers as my work trousers, and they are warm and showerproof, just too many blasted hidden pockets. One pair has and I jest you not, fifteen pockets :rolleyes:

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks folks, looks like a trip to Cotswolds in Bicester is imminent.

And yes, Mary we do have a nearby huntin', shootin' and fishin' shop I had forgotten about: thanks for the reminder. She has a pair of craghoppers and agrees with your comment.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't know that clothing here because I am a single.

But my own Solognac clothing is very good and inexpensive for the quality and I own a lot of it and tested it very well.

Different to other hunting clothing it is designed by French cutters and that you can see!

https://www.decathlon.fr/browse/c0-.../c3-vetements-chasse-femme/_/N-1eix6k7?Ndrc=1

I guess you have to call the next shop to order it for you before she can try it. Even men's hunting clothing aren't everywhere in stock.

The biggest Decathlon I know, where you can see - in the right season - nearly everything they offer is the Decathlon shop "Montpellier Odysseum", located southern of the town, next to highway and airport, very well accessible by car.

There is a lot to see around: Cathédrale de Maguelone, Cathédrale de Montpellier, Port de la Grande Motte and the town Aigues-Mortes.
So you have a good reason to go there which you can tell your wife.

After they closed and sold the camping municipale de Carnon the best place to stay is the camping ground Saint Maurice in Palavas - les - Flots. Making holydays in Palavas is relatively cheap.
The oldest and best located hotel of Palavas is the hotel TANAGRA, which is relatively cheap.
A couple of years ago slept there the famous Buffalo Bill with his Wild West Show team and a bit later the famous Erbswurst, so that's another reason to go there!
A good and cheap all you can eat Moules Frites Restaurant you find a few steps away from the hotel at the outer point of the restaurants next to the yacht harbour.

(The in my opinion best place to stay in Sète is the youth hostel, by the way. A bit high located but very nice. They have a small camping ground too. The best cheap Restaurant is located directly next to the Fishermen's Hall at the outer harbour. Tielle you can get everywhere in Sète and eat them all the day. That's the best idea in the world.)

So you have a nice project for the future I guess.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most Decathlon shops do not store hunting clothing!

And if they do, than you find there just a few.

The best is to order via telephone to your shop the models you are interested in (all the probably fitting sizes) and to try them in your next shop.

If people do that constantly Decathlon will learn, that we want to see the hunting clothing in our local shops and not the idiotic Forclaz trekking stuff, constructed for expeditions between Tour Eiffel and Champs Élysées.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Have you taken a look at the Paramo site?

Since I got converted to the Paramo cause a while ago with a jacket, and now finding the need for trousers, I keep going back there .. mainly hoping that the slightly intimidating proportions of some of the prices will diminish in my mind. Got some work to do on that.

But, the jacket is so impressive that I suspect Paramo trousers will one day gird my girded loins.

Point about them is that you just wear them. If its dry, you are fine. If it is wet, you are fine.

(Though you may be mistaken for one of the 'Professional Lensmen' that apparently litter the British landscape:lol:)

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oh, what kind of work was your partner's dad recognized for. I do love an old documentary

Churchill - The Finest Hours was probably the best known, but "Time to Remember" , a TV series which was recently reshown in a badly mangled form on th BBC. His filmography can be seen on th BFI site under "Peter Baylis". He died in 1972.

PS The Paramo pants are way out of our price range unless she wins the lottery, but thanks for the link anyway.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes rohan is brilliant for warm trousers. I swear by their winter jeans but at £100 they are a bit pricy.well worth it though. I save all year to afford a pair each winter in their sales. Got a pair this year in store for £30! Well happy! :) :) :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
His filmography can be seen on th BFI site under "Peter Baylis".

Oh, really :) This is up my alley. There is a ton of his work on YouTube ... I'm right now watching one on which he seems to have just done the voice over ... about Denmark. There is Dreyer documentary on Denmark that I often show the students. It has a partner now.

(Sad about the price of the Paramo stuff ... I don't know why I keep looking at their clothes. It's not as if they are going to get magically more affordable just by staring hard .. though you never know what wishing might bring, I suppose :))

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If only wishing worked! My father used to say ... its no good wishing , you have to work to make it happen. Sadly true and a painful lesson in life sometimes. Especially for a little girl who believed in fairys and magic wands. I still havnt managed to make a magic wand happen tho :) :) :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I dunno. I think praying and wishing are kind of the same. You compose a hope, put it into the world and keep thinking about it. Then, maybe the thinking prompted by that lets you see a way through.

I mean just the other day, I was on my way home from work, and I suddenly felt a desire for a chicken curry. I so wished I could have a lovely hot and creamy chicken curry with some nice vegetables and some rice. Then suddenly, this shop appeared right in front of me with a man in it who was selling a chicken curry done exactly like I wanted. You can't tell me that wishing didn't make that so.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE