kuksa question

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I've just finished making a kuksa/wooden cup/thing out of birch. The problem is that during a break in the carving I left it outside for too long and it went a bit mouldy. There was enough left to carve to allow me to carve the manky (technical term) bits off, but now it's finished there are still dark marks on the outside. The question is: do you think it will still be safe to use? And: what do I need to do to seal it?

Cheers
Heath

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've just finished making a kuksa/wooden cup/thing out of birch. The problem is that during a break in the carving I left it outside for too long and it went a bit mouldy. There was enough left to carve to allow me to carve the manky (technical term) bits off, but now it's finished there are still dark marks on the outside. The question is: do you think it will still be safe to use? And: what do I need to do to seal it?

Cheers
Heath

Not sure to be honest, I would be tempted to dry it out completely(ish) and then treat it with beeswax-proper beeswax, not polish from a tin etc.- saying that, I'm not sure on the safety side with spalted wood as such so wait for a few more folk to reply before going for it!
cheers
R.B.
p.s.: where's the picture?:D

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I shouldn't worry about the mold. I've had that with spoons where I've put them in a plastic bag intending to finish them off the next day then found them a few weeks later! There's nothing that you could get from the wood that would cause you any harm.

Next you need to leave it to dry properly and dry without splitting. The time this will take will depend on the wall thickness, but I'd say maybe a couple of weeks. To start with leave it somewhere fairly cool like your garage or unheated bedroom, then it can sit somewhere warmer, but still not in direct heat. If it drys slowly it'll be far less likely to crack.

Once its dry you can oil it. You'll find all sorts of advice on here about different oils different people use, so I'll not repeat it all, just make sure what you use is food quality. If you warm up the oil by sticking the bottle in a jug of hot water first it'll become thinner and penetrate the wood better. Give it a good coating, let it sink in then wipe off the excess.

Then post a picture for us!
Nicola

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
thanks folks, it's good to know that I can use it still. Is there any particular finish that would darken the wood and still leave it safe? Maybe if I did this you wouldn't notice the dark spots as much.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I believe that many kuksas are treated with coffee to finish and darken the wood, so that might be an option. Haven't tried it myself so I'm not sure if there's a special method.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Litefoot in this post says he boiled his spoon for 10-15 minutes in coffee, left it to soak for 30 minutes, let it dry then oiled it. It looked a good colour. Robin's currently got a burr rowan mazer soaking in a bowl of coffee. He didn't want to boil it because it has a silver rim on. I think he's going to leave it overnight, but it has already darkened significantly.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Thanks for your advice, you've been very helpful. I've decided not to stain it, I'm not that bothered about the marks now, it'll do for a first atempt. I haven't done much carving so I'll put it down as a lesson learned.

Heres's a picture.

DSCF0419.jpg

It's a bit uneven (I call it rustic) but I like it.

Cheers
Heath

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE