Kuksa and cook spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful to see that you have been infected with SCS (Spoon Carving Syndrome).
Make a carver out of you, yet. Nicely composed photograph, too.
There's always rock dust blowing off the local mountains, you get white snow.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Wonderful to see that you have been infected with SCS (Spoon Carving Syndrome).
Make a carver out of you, yet. Nicely composed photograph, too.
There's always rock dust blowing off the local mountains, you get white snow.

lmao yep got bit years ago with the carving gig. One to many trades needed to get caught up on lol
thanks much :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For heavens sake! What is the obsession with sanding?
Smooth out your tool marks, make a few little cabinet scrapers and be done with it, once and for all.
I make all of mine from the very hard steel strapping (3/4" and 1.25") which we use to bundle large loads of dimension lumber.
They do not work worth a dang for softwoods.
BUT, for any sort of hard woods, you will see the most impossibly small curly shavings spall off.

I used to be a sander, and then a few weeks ago thankfully, I too found the joy of scrapers.
They cost me less than a fiver for a set of four mini scrapers.
fb0b773e857eeee17da97ee0df5a8685.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I guess that you would call it "tip diving." Large stacks of dimension lumber are strapped with very hard steel banding.
Usually free for the taking. I cut it into 3" long strips, file one edge flat and make the burr with the tang of the file.
Imperfect but adequate to remove carving tool marks in hard wood such as birch. Sadly, they do not work well on soft woods
like my favorite, western red cedar. I've been trying to make some curved ones but the curves never match the carvings!

I think that other sources of junk steel sheet (old kitchen knives) should work just as well, if not better.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks fellas. I just haven't gotten around to trying scrapers as of yet on the toy list. Sanding doesn't bother me so much either. im planning to leave the outside of the bowl tooled want the inside smooth. Will be working on it later tonight possible have in oil by tomorrow
@forginghill yeah the snow and normal cold doesn't bother me much it's the wind but I'll carve outside during the winter plenty of coffee or tea to keep warm

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Update on the kuksa as of last night. Bowl carved into the bark side as of late really liking the effect it gives also one of the first pieces in ages not to have any adze work done to it

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
A nice looking set of carvings you got there. There is nothing wrong with sanding, yes tool finishing is nice and scrapers are great but if you have done a good job sanding should only take 5-10 minutes at the most, each to their own I guess.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have you tried dragging the spoon knife like a skew? Long delicate pull cuts, always down and towards the center?
I learned that I could "kiss" off the tool mark ridges that way. Well, it works OK in dry birch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE