Krill lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I have been looking for a small lantern for my hammock for a while now. I like the UCO ones but they are bulky and chew through the candles - you would be looking at two per weekend.

The LED type lanterns are better but they also have poor battery life.

Then I can across the Krill lamps - 120hrs off one set of batteries. Does anyone have any experience of them?

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Yes I use them regularly there my tent lights they kick out enough light to see what your doing :D And I also use them a hammock marker lights so when you go for a pee in th middle of the night theres none of that wandering around saying I know my hammocks around here some where :rolleyes: :D

cheers Russ

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have one and use it inside my Hennesey. It provides a nice safe light to get organised to, without any of the hazards. No dripping wax, no burn problems etc.

I haven't used it for hours on end tho - just getting settled in at night, if you know what I mean.

Simon

Hammy734

Sep 6, 2008
Portadown, Northern Ireland
I have used a green krill for the past few years inside my tent. At the start of the evening it doesn't really look up to much but when its dark there is an ample glow off it that enables you to see comfortably in such a small/ confined area as you would expect.

Plus as others have mentioned it is so easy on batteries - I have had my last set in it for the past 2 years, so en route to the campsite it normally hangs off my rucksack and as soon as the tent goes up the first thing I do is hang it up inside and can happily forget about it!

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
yes they arn not waterproof as they say

i flooded several diving at 3m suppoesd to be rated to 50m (6ata) :rolleyes:
luckly the then importer was just down the road so i got my money back

but if your not diving it shouldnt matter

ATB

Duncan

I have my Greenforce 100W HID for diving! :D

I have considered the glowsticks but IMHO they are the worst solution in terms of cost. At least you can blow out a candle or turn off a battery powered lantern. Appreciate that others think differently though.

Will check out the glo toobs. Anyone compared the two?

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
... and I'm running a group buy at the moment! £18 for 50 x 6" Glow sticks delivered to UK address.

Something else to consider...

Simon

Glo toobs are something else. http://www.glo-toob.co.uk/

I researched krill lights vs glo toobs at the time of buying and went for the glo toob option. Can't remember why exactly! I haven't directly compared the two.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Just looked at glo toobs but they use an odd battery - 23A and there is no mention of their light output to compare with the Krill. While the batteries are reasonably cheap on ebay, because they are non-standard it means I can't use rechargeables. They are also comparable, if not a little more expensive than the Krill lights.

The more I look, the more I like the Krills. http://www.kriana.com/pages/howtochoose.html

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think I bought batteries from Maplins. I bought one as a spare, but haven't had to use it yet. I'd be interested in a comparison if anyone has both. Or if you get a krill, I can send you my glo toob for a comparison yourself.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I tip that (IIRC) Wayland mentioned was that when you use a battery in e.g. a camera or GPS, after it's "dead" it will still retain enough charge to power a krill light for a few hours.

So rather than chucking away batteries when they will no longer power energy-hungry gizmos, keep 'em handy for your krill lights and you'll extend their useful life significantly.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Had a green one for years when i was still in the Army it was my map reading light and one lit up on one side. Really good bit of kit took alot of abuse only gave out when an unfortunate foot trod on it when packing kit. I would certainly buy one agin without doubt if a had a need.

I have my Greenforce 100W HID for diving! :D

I have considered the glowsticks but IMHO they are the worst solution in terms of cost. At least you can blow out a candle or turn off a battery powered lantern. Appreciate that others think differently though.

Will check out the glo toobs. Anyone compared the two?

i use a Halcyon 18w HID for main (similer your GF )

I did get a Glo Toob but never used it under water i dont bother with Glow markers diving now ( if that cant see the HID :D:cool:)

its oks and mine has 6-7 flash options :rolleyes:

its knocking about in a draw some where (has been for years ) might get a new battery and clip it perminamtly in my hammock
but i use a Tikka Head torck as a camp lightmuch more usfull and easy to hang up and a lot easier to turn on i nthe dark etc

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE